Limit filter list to unique values

ollyhughes1982

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi,

In the image (and file - link at the bottom) you can see a worksheet called ‘All Completed Runs - Period’, where I attempt to complete the periodic table of elements, with the event (venue) names of parkruns that I have attended. You can see the criteria / logic for this in A2.

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 13.43.53.jpeg

I currently have the following formula in K4, which I have filled down to the bottom of the range (K121):

Excel Formula:
=IF(A4<>"",XLOOKUP(IF(LEN(B4)=2,(INDEX(FILTER('All Completed Runs'!$BX$4:$BX$2003,('All Completed Runs'!$AS$4:$AS$2003=MID(B4,1,1))*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(B4,2,1),'All Completed Runs'!$GP$4:$GP$2003))),""),1)),INDEX(FILTER('All Completed Runs'!$BX$4:$BX$2003,'All Completed Runs'!$AS$4:$AS$2003=(MID(B4,1,1)),""),1)),'All Completed Runs'!$BX$4:$BX$2003,'All Completed Runs'!$C$4:$C$2003),"")

This works / worked perfectly up until now. However, I am now looking to add an extra complication; to only be able to use each parkrun event (venue) once in the list. I have tried various things, but I’ve been unable to achieve this. Please could anyone advise a way I could achieve this?

When assigning the parkrun event (venue) to the element, I would like to apply the earliest (by date that event was run at for the first time) to the earliest element in the table, from top down to the bottom.

e.g. In my data, Hereford parkrun (attended on 06/07/2019) would be selected for for Hydrogen, but not for Helium, as that is lower down the list. Helium should use Haverford West parkrun, as that was attended the next earliest from my list of parkruns (attended on 08/02/2020).

e.g. 2. In my data, Newport parkrun (attended on 11/04/2011) would be selected for Nitrogen, but not for Neon, as that is lower down the list. Helium should use Newent parkrun, as that was attended the next earliest from my list of parkruns (attended on 02/11/2019).

e.g. 3. In my data, Riverfront parkrun (attended on 21/10/2017) would be selected for Rhenium, but not for Radon, as that is lower down the list. Radon should use Ross-on-Wye parkrun, as that was attended the next earliest from my list of parkruns (attended on 03/08/2019).

Link to small file here: Periodic Table Example.xlsx

Thanks in advance,

Olly.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Perhaps a better way of explaining it is: I want the logic in each row to still work in the same way, but the entire list mustn't have any duplicates. It must be all unique events (venues) in column K and take the first date that event (venue) was run at, run for column L. As described from above, priority should be from top (Hydrogen) to bottom (Oganesson).

Upvote 0
Haven't really looked at what your formula is doing, but try
Excel Formula:
=IF(A4<>"",XLOOKUP(IF(LEN(B4)=2,(INDEX(FILTER('All Completed Runs'!$BX$4:$BX$2003,('All Completed Runs'!$AS$4:$AS$2003=MID(B4,1,1))*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(B4,2,1),'All Completed Runs'!$GP$4:$GP$2003)))*(ISNA(XMATCH('All Completed Runs'!$C$4:$C$2003,K$3:K3))),""),1)),INDEX(FILTER('All Completed Runs'!$BX$4:$BX$2003,('All Completed Runs'!$AS$4:$AS$2003=(MID(B4,1,1)))*(ISNA(XMATCH('All Completed Runs'!$C$4:$C$2003,K$3:K3))),""),1)),'All Completed Runs'!$BX$4:$BX$2003,'All Completed Runs'!$C$4:$C$2003),"")

Upvote 0
Solution
Haven't really looked at what your formula is doing, but try
Excel Formula:
=IF(A4<>"",XLOOKUP(IF(LEN(B4)=2,(INDEX(FILTER('All Completed Runs'!$BX$4:$BX$2003,('All Completed Runs'!$AS$4:$AS$2003=MID(B4,1,1))*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(B4,2,1),'All Completed Runs'!$GP$4:$GP$2003)))*(ISNA(XMATCH('All Completed Runs'!$C$4:$C$2003,K$3:K3))),""),1)),INDEX(FILTER('All Completed Runs'!$BX$4:$BX$2003,('All Completed Runs'!$AS$4:$AS$2003=(MID(B4,1,1)))*(ISNA(XMATCH('All Completed Runs'!$C$4:$C$2003,K$3:K3))),""),1)),'All Completed Runs'!$BX$4:$BX$2003,'All Completed Runs'!$C$4:$C$2003),"")
Thanks, @Fluff. I have just tried this and seems bit better, as in Hereford's second entry has now been replaced with Haverfordwest, but am still getting duplicates. I have attched a link to the version where I have added your formula in column O. Periodic Table Example_v2.xlsx

Upvote 0
Hi. This has now been resolved on Excel Forum, using the following formula:

=LET(A,'All Completed Runs'!$C$4:$C$500,B,'All Completed Runs'!$BX$4:$BX$500,IFERROR(TAKE(FILTER(A,(LEFT(B)=LEFT(B9))*(IF(LEN(B9)=2,ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(B9,2,1),B)),1)*(ISERROR(MATCH(A,$K$3:K8,0))))),1),""))

Thanks, all.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back