Limiting conditional formatting to decimal places

xxthegiantxx

I have formulas set up in cells that calculate to multiple decimal places. I have used "Increase Decimal" and "Decrease Decimal" to show three decimal places. Beyond the three decimal places are irrelevant to what i am trying to do. I have used conditional formatting to change the fill color above or below a certain number. However, the conditional formatting is using all of the decimal points beyond the three. How do i set up conditional formatting to ignore any decimal beyond the three i set the viewer to.

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Maybe a rule something along the lines of

=LEFT(K1,SEARCH(".",K1)+3)>"0.001"

Upvote 0
When you change the format of a number by using increase or decrease decimal, you are only changing how it is being displayed and not the actual number itself.

e.g. if you have the number 12.0346 in A1 and change the formatting to show 12.035, =A1=12.035 will return FALSE because A1 is actually 12.0346.

This is the same with Conditional Formatting so you will have to take that into account.

Upvote 0
NominalActual
toleranceGreen-Green+ToleranceYellow-Yellow+

<tbody>
</tbody>
The formula didn't work or maybe i didn't apply it correctly so i will be more specific. Tolerance calculates via a formula i have written. It then gives you a range of measurements that tolerance would apply to. I have it set the viewer to show three decimal places because that is all i am concerned about (I realize this has no effect on the value of the number in the cell). The number in the actual field should change color based on the range it falls under i.e. green, yellow, or outside of those ranges is red. However, as you can see the formula calculates the tolerance of the yellow field to be 0.0225. I am only concerned about 3 decimal places so i would like the decimal to round up so that conditional formatting is correct. In other words, an actual measurement of 10.023 should change to yellow. It changes to red because 10.023 is technically larger than 10.0225.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back