Linking workbooks with changing names

suzette0735

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have two worksheets in the same workbook and the first populates the second with information for the customer. The first has confidential information and the other is the one to sent to the customer. I am concerned that not all people working in this workbook will properly hide the first worksheet before sending it to the customer. I would like to change this so that there will be two different workbooks, to make sure the confidential information does not get sent. Is this possible though, if the first and second workbooks will always have the file named changed based on the customer name and location? Thanks for your help!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
I would use Power Query to do this in a separate workbook.

1. Use "GET DATA" to choose which data you want from the original file.
2. Manipulate the data in Power Query and send the new book.

Upvote 0
This is certainly possible. It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach screenshots (not pictures) of your two sheets. Since the data in the first sheet is confidential, you could de-sensitize it. We would only need about 10 rows of data to get an idea of how your data is organized. Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).

Upvote 0
I would use Power Query to do this in a separate workbook.

1. Use "GET DATA" to choose which data you want from the original file.
2. Manipulate the data in Power Query and send the new book.
Thank you, would this be something the new user would need to do every time he saves as a different file name?

Upvote 0
This is certainly possible. It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach screenshots (not pictures) of your two sheets. Since the data in the first sheet is confidential, you could de-sensitize it. We would only need about 10 rows of data to get an idea of how your data is organized. Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).
Thank you, as i am unfamiliar with doing this and am only online to work a short time, I appreciate your efforts. Is there anyway to do this with just a brief explanation? The employee populates date on one sheet with the qty, cost, mark up and tax and on the other sheet I have formulas to pull over the description they entered and the marked up amount as well as tax if not tax exempt.

Upvote 0
Since I can't see how your data is organized, I have no way of knowing where the customer name and location are found on the sheet so I wouldn't' be be able to name the file as you requested. A simple screenshot of your sheet would solve this problem.

Upvote 0
Hi Suzette

No - that's the beauty of Power Query. It saves all the steps so they just have to refresh the data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SCleaveland

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back