List of functions that work with closed workbooks

babycody

I know of a couple of functions that can be used on closed workbooks such as sumproduct and vlookup. Is there a list of functions somewhere that have this capability, or are these two the only ones? Thank you for helping me expand my knowledge of Excel.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
I thought nearly all functions work on closed workbooks. Certainly of the functions I use the only one that I know which won't work on a closed workbook is the INDIRECT function and even that can be got around (with difficulty) by using the INDIRECT.EXT function from the Morefunc add-in.

Upvote 0
Functions that operate only on range objects like SumIf or CountIf would not be on the list. On the other hand, if a function is designed to operate (also) on array objects, they will work with closed books.

Upvote 0
Thank you both for that information. I guess people had made such a big deal about being able to use certain functions on closed workbooks that I thought those functions were unique. This is extremely helpful information.

Upvote 0
Thank you both for that information. I guess people had made such a big deal about being able to use certain functions on closed workbooks that I thought those functions were unique. This is extremely helpful information.
me too just now. Well now I know !! Thank you guys !

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Edwin_SVRZ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back