Listbox with customisable Property Headings

BrighterLater

Board Regular
When one uses a file dialog to select a file, the standard MS windows form contains a multicolumn list box with customisable column headings showing a selection of property names: file name, size, type, etc. Is it possible to incorporate that component of the form in a VBA form. Is this an Activex control that I can use? A link to someone else description would be great. I was unable to find such help I think because I didn't know the search terms to use.

Thank you - Mike

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hello Mike

The ListBox ActiveX control supports multi-column and headings. In particular look at its' ColumnCount, ColumnHeads and ColumnWidths properties. NOt sure if this helps but if not can you perhaps explain what exactly you are trying to achieve?

Upvote 0
Jon

Thank you for replying. I haven't used ActiveX controls before in a form, only the standard VBA controls.

If possible could you give me a link that describes:

1. How I access the activeX control you refer to (do I have to add references to libraries)
2. A description of its methods and properties.
3. Ideally a sample xls containing a simple example.

Just for clarity I'm not expecting you to do all this but if you could give me an MSN link or similar then that would be very helpful.

(What I am trying to achieve is to create an Addin to manage import/export of VBA project components to/from a "workspace" folder. This is so I can use SVN/Tortoise for version control. The most important part of this would be a form containg two multi select list boxes: one for VBA Project Components and the other the folder contents. The Folder contents list would display at minimum, filename, and a (modified) last modified date. A simple multi column list box would suffice but I'd like to know how to mimic the file dialog listbox)

Many Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Mike

Ok, first some referrals:

A bit about ListBoxes: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2swkx91x(v=VS.80).aspx

ListBox Control Properties etc: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/a08zk9kw(v=VS.80).aspx

The listbox control is the 5th control in the control toolbox (last control 1st row).
mec990117.gif

Sounds like you're setting yourself quite a task. I never went into the deep end, I discovered ListBox controls capabilities one step at a time here. There's lots of info in historic threads here and the VBA help isn't too bad either.

So, how do you intend on populating the listbox, and once populated what are users going to do with it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodeCybear

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back