Lock formatting and formulas

deemer98

Board Regular
I'm having some troubles in figuring out how to lock formats and formulas on a spreadsheet. I've googled some info, but it's not working. I want my sheet to allow the workers to ENTER data only. Cells A1:P29. How do I get those cells locked from anyone editing the formatting and formulas besides me? I know I can put a password on it, but it's making me use a password to enter data and that's not what I want. Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Right click on the cells you want to be able to edit, select format cells and then the protection tab. Uncheck the 'locked' box
Now when you protect the sheet from the Review menu on the ribbon all cells will be locked other than the ones you've just unlocked

Make sense?

Upvote 0
Jim...didn't work. It makes you put in a password in order to do ANYTHING in the sheet and that's not what I want.

If I created the sheet but wanted YOU to be able to only enter data in A1:P29 (without you entering a password) how would I protect the formatting and formulas I created in order to keep you from changing them?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back