Locking Worksheet

Joek88

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

So, before I start designing an excel worksheet, I have a question first.

I want to build a worksheet that will have a Data Entry Form for data entry. This workbook will be used by multiple users so I want some kind of control to minimize users from messing the sheet up.

This is what I would like to have: When the Data Entry Form is activated by a button on my sheet, it would allow users to enter the specified data per the form but then as soon as they close the Data Entry Form I want the worksheet to lock so they cannot edit or copy and paste data at will. To edit any data they would have to reopen the Data Entry Form and push the edit button. When the edit button is pressed it would automatically unlock the sheet so data can be entered and relock after the Form is closed.

I hope this makes sense and I'm not even sure it can be done. Excel will not allow you to disable copy and paste feature. Can someone help me? Any ideas on how I would achieve this?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hi.
have a look at this article Data Entry And Update Form and see if it will help you.

There are various sample workbook options you can download for free which will allow you to adjust it to meet specific project need.

Something to consider but very much would depend on your VBA skills, would be that if your users will have access via your employers corporate network then consider just creating template workbooks for users data entry / edit activity & place the data in a separate workbook (database) for them to access. The database workbook can be password protected and would only be accessible to users via the template (data entry) workbooks which would prevent them "messing the sheet up"

Hope Helpful

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi.
have a look at this article Data Entry And Update Form and see if it will help you.

There are various sample workbook options you can download for free which will allow you to adjust it to meet specific project need.

Something to consider but very much would depend on your VBA skills, would be that if your users will have access via your employers corporate network then consider just creating template workbooks for users data entry / edit activity & place the data in a separate workbook (database) for them to access. The database workbook can be password protected and would only be accessible to users via the template (data entry) workbooks which would prevent them "messing the sheet up"

Hope Helpful

Dave
Hey Dave, thank you for the quick response. Bummer, the individuals that will have a copy of this sheet will be "outside" of my organization.

Upvote 0
You probably could do something similar with Excel file via Sharepoint online but I personally have no experience of this but maybe in this case, Excel is not the right platform to be using for your requirement?

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back