Logging a time

SandsB

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
=IF(B2<>"",NOW(),"")
This fills in a date/time if B2 is not blank. But any change in the sheet updates the value of NOW(). What I'm looking for is a way to make a log sheet where this date/time doesn't change once the cell in column B is populated. So a user enters their ID in column B and column C is populated with the current time - and that time doesn't change.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
This is one of the most common asked and answered questions on this forum (there are literally thousands of posts on it!)
This can be done with a simple VBA code.

Right-click on the sheet tab name at the bottom of your screen, select "View Code" and paste this code in the VB Editor window that pops up:
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.Column = 2 And Target.Row > 1 Then
        Target.Offset(0, 1) = Now()
    End If
End Sub
Now, as you make manual entries in column B, column C will automatically be updated with the Time Stamp.

Upvote 0
=IF(B2<>"",NOW(),"")
This fills in a date/time if B2 is not blank. But any change in the sheet updates the value of NOW(). What I'm looking for is a way to make a log sheet where this date/time doesn't change once the cell in column B is populated. So a user enters their ID in column B and column C is populated with the current time - and that time doesn't change.
This code if you only want the time to be added when the cell in column B is first populated and not if it is subsequently updated.

Change the following line depending on what time format you need.

.NumberFormat = "hh:mm:ss"

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then
        Exit Sub
    End If

If Not Intersect(Range("B:B"), Target) Is Nothing And Len(Trim(Target.Offset(0, 1))) = 0 Then
        With Target.Offset(0, 1)
            .Value = Now()
            .NumberFormat = "hh:mm:ss"
        End With
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Ahhhhh. Thank you. I did look but my search terms must suck as much as my knowledge of Excel.

Upvote 0
This goes in the Worksheet code module just in case you don't know.
Yep, that part often confuses people, which is why I always provide this instruction to ensure not only that they put it in a Worksheet module, but that they also put it in the correct Worksheet module (in case they have multiple sheets):
Right-click on the sheet tab name at the bottom of your screen, select "View Code" and paste this code in the VB Editor window that pops up:

If they always navigate to it that way, it will ensure that they are in the right place!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back