Look Up Help Required with newest date

Celticshadow

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All

I would like to have a formula that looks up the horse Priory in workbook 1 and finds its speed value in workbook 2 (col H)
from the most recent date and place it in workbook 1 col H2. Unfortunately I am unable to sort workbook two but can sort workbook one in ascending order by horse name, also the dates in workbook two are in ascending order. I have attached an example as below and hope that helps with my query. Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Workbook 1
IDRnnrsDATECOURSETIMENOHORSESpeed Fig Required
1510 June 2015Beverley14004Priory15
1510 June 2015Beverley14006Lolamotion
1510 June 2015Beverley14001Mustnt Grumble

<tbody>
</tbody>

Workbook 2

IDRnnrsDATECOURSETIMENOHORSESPEED
870507 April 2015Lingfield15105Priory0
2,001909 May 2015Goodwood14459Priory80
3,126801 June 2015Windsor17555Priory15

<tbody>
</tbody>

Hi Aladin

Apologies for getting back sooner but I had a bit of an emergency to deal with and have only just got back to everyday musings. When I enter your above formula it seems to returning the latest occurrence of the speed figure being 15 not the third being 60 unless I am reading the input of the formula incorrectly. Many thanks

Regards

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hi Aladin Akyurek

My apologies for coming back to this thread but would it be possible to get the 3rd most recent speed figure which from the above example would be a 60 on the 15 May 15. Many thanks for your previous help and my apologies but I would just like to be able to get a formula solution as I am a little stuck.

Regards

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin Akyurek

My apologies for coming back to this thread but would it be possible to get the 3rd most recent speed figure which from the above example would be a 60 on the 15 May 15. Many thanks for your previous help and my apologies but I would just like to be able to get a formula solution as I am a little stuck.

Regards
Hi Forum

As far as I can see Aladin Akyurek has not posted for sometime (I do hope all is well) and with that in mind would any other members of forum be kind enough to take a look at the above to see if they could help with a formula solution for me. Many thanks.

Regards

Upvote 0
You now have MS 365 so now have a lot more functions available to you than back in 2015.
See if this is any use to return (up to) the last 3 speed ratings. Just copy the formula down column H.
Check workbook and worksheet names and ranges.

Workbook 2.xlsx
ABCGH
1IDRnnrsDATEHORSESPEED
287057-Apr-15Priory0
32,00199-May-15Priory80
43,126815-May-15Priory60
530-May-15Lolamotion80
630/05/2015Priory15
71/06/2015Priory15
Sheet1

Workbook 1.xlsx
GHIJ
1HORSELast 3 speeds
2Priory151560
3Lolamotion80
4Mustnt Grumble 
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
H2:J2,H3:H4H2=LET(d,'[Workbook 2.xlsx]Sheet1'!C$2:H$10000,TRANSPOSE(TAKE(TAKE(SORT(FILTER(d,CHOOSECOLS(d,5)=G2,""),1,-1),,-1),3)))
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi Peter_SSs

Many thanks for replying it is much appreciated. May I ask what the formula is saying in laymans terms, I am particularly curious as to what the "d" is saying in the formula. The reason I ask is I am wondering if I can adapt it to pick up other figures on my spreadsheet along with the speed figures it is already picking up. My apologies for further questions and also for lateness in getting back to your goodself.

Regards

Upvote 0
May I ask what the formula is saying in laymans terms,
  1. FILTER columns C:H of WB2 to show rows for the relevant horse only (ie where the 5th column of C:H is the correct horse)
  2. SORT that data by the first column of C:H (Date) descending so most recent is at the top
  3. TAKE ,,-1 means take the last column (ie the speed column)
  4. TAKE ,3 means take (up to) the first 3 rows of that column
  5. TRANSPOSE to turn it from vertical to horizontal

I am particularly curious as to what the "d" is saying in the formula.
=LET(d,'[Workbook 2.xlsx]Sheet1'!C$2:H$10000,TRANSPOSE(TAKE(TAKE(SORT(FILTER(d,CHOOSECOLS(d,5)=G2,""),1,-1),,-1),3)))

The d is just like a variable name. It is set at the beginning of the LET statement to simply store that the data is in C2:H10000 of Sheet1 in WB 2 (range, sheet name and workbook name can be edited by you if required) and simply saves using that longer text twice later in the formula where the two blue "d"s are. Using LET like this makes writing the formula a bit shorter and can make formulas more efficient by not having to reassess a particular calculation/range etc.

So this version without the d and the LET would do the same job.
=TRANSPOSE(TAKE(TAKE(SORT(FILTER('[Workbook 2.xlsx]Sheet1'!C$2:H$10000,CHOOSECOLS('[Workbook 2.xlsx]Sheet1'!C$2:H$10000,5)=G2,""),1,-1),,-1),3))

More information about LET and variable names here: LET function - Microsoft Support

Upvote 0
Hi Peter_SSs

Apologies for such lateness, I thought I had marked this as the perfect solution as it is, many many thanks for your time and knowledge so selflessly given.

Kind Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back