Looking for an improved formula

Stan101

Hi am trying to check conditions of various cells to decide on the correct calculation. I have come up with the following:

VBA Code:
=IF(AND('Cover Sheet'!B12="yes",($C$2-$B8)/0.2=INT(($C$2-$B8)/0.2)),B8*(C8+0.2),IF(AND('Cover Sheet'!B12="yes",($C$2-$B8)/0.2<>INT(($C$2-$B8)/0.2)),B8*(C8+0.1),IF(AND('Cover Sheet'!B12<>"yes",($C$2-$B8)/0.2<>INT(($C$2-$B8)/0.2)),B8*(C8+0.1),B8*C8)))

Basically, I am checking the condition of cell B12 on the cover sheet, and the condition if C2 - B8 has a remainder or not and then to make a calc based on the outcome . But it is quite a cumbersome formula with only 2 conditions and if I need to check more conditions - which I will - the whole formula gets much more complicated. Is there a better way, via formula or VBA that can make this style of formula easier?

I also will have many instances in this workbook and others where I need to check such conditions.

Any suggestions to make this more graceful?

Also, I didn't use MOD in my formula because it sometimes gives me strange results when using decimal numbers.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
You don't need to repeat logical tests if you set them out in a logical order. Anything that is not ="yes" must be <>"yes" by process of elimination so it doesn't need to be checked twice.
Also, by using AND, you need to check ="yes" twice, without AND you only need to check it once, then follow it with the checks for the value calculation.

I've trimmed it down based on what you've shown in your example formula, but without a list of all conditions (not a formula containing them) to work with, I can't say for sure that this will still work when you try to expand it.

=B8*(C8+IF(($C$2-$B8)/0.2=INT(($C$2-$B8)/0.2),IF('Cover sheet'!B12="yes",0.2),0.1))

Upvote 0
Solution
Jason, thank you. Your formula is much more elegant. I had never considered using the if statement in an equation like that. And if I ever saw it used, I never acknowledged it. I never stop learning here.

I also think I used the term "condition" incorrectly. I wasn't looking for a true or false value.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back