Lookup from one sheet to another and return yes or no....currently stuggling

Heidi2101

Office Version
  1. 365
I've spent hours trying to figure this out as a mostly beginner excel user.

I have a list of job codes in column A on sheet one. They are alpha numeric such as MGM1234. In sheet two I have a list of 50 special job codes, in the same format, and I am tying to use a V look up in column I of sheet one to tell me which job codes appear in sheet 2 with a yes or no.
I've tried many options found here and elsewhere online and it's only returning a NO.

The job codes were originally stores as general, I tried text and numbers also. I'm suspecting it has to do with either the alphanumeric mix maybe?

Any help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Well, your description is not clear.
Do you have a column with Yes/no values next to the column with codes in sheet 2? Then VLOOKUP shall be fine. But if not: may be you just want to chec if given code is present in sheet 2. Then the function to be used is COUNTIF
like in I2:
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF(Sheet2!A:A,A2)
assuming the codes are in both sheets in columns A

Upvote 0
Solution
Do you have a column with Yes/no values next to the column with codes in sheet 2? Then VLOOKUP shall be fine. But if not: may be you just want to chec if given code is present in sheet 2. Then the function to be used is COUNTIF
like in I2:
Excel Formula:
My apologies. Thank you for trying with what I gave.

I do not have a yes no column in sheet two, just the job codes. In this case I am looking to understand with a yes/ no where in sheet 1 the codes from sheet 2 appear. Basically, the same idea as countif but with a yes/ no.

You mention "assuming the codes are in both sheets in column A". They are not.....In sheet 1 they are are, but in sheet 2 they are in column E.

Upvote 0
like in I2:
Excel Formula:
Actually I got it- thanks for putting me on the right path.
Using IF and ISNA with a lookup worked but only after I rearranged the info into column A.

Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back