Lookup with sumproduct

chris0b

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi! I have tried to find an answer to this on the forum but I'm not entirely sure what I need so I apologise if this has been posted already.

I have a formula which looks up the left 3 characters of a cell against a table containing 3 letter codes, if a certain number is used in the adjacent cell - and returns TRUE if there is a match
However, in my new table there are now codes that are between 3 and 7 digits and my formula only matches against the 3 letter codes and I'm not sure how to change my formula
1710330678518.png

This is my current formula
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--('[JV Data.XLSX]Data'!$E$2:$E$3=O24))=1,IF(SUMPRODUCT(--('[JV Data.XLSX]CODES'!$C$2:$C$300=LEFT(N24,3)))=1,TRUE,FALSE),TRUE)

I need to amend the underlined part of my formula somehow to be able to show TRUE if the left 3-7 characters matches a code on my list

This is a sample of my codes, only the top result shows TRUE on my current formula
1710330591082.png

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Is there a way to sort your Org Code column alphabetically? Using the LOOKUP function may help with that.

Also, are the left most characters separated from the rest of the string by a consistent character (maybe a space)?

Can you label your cells with ColumnRow information please? And if you can post in a table or use the xl2bb add (link below, and preferred) it would be more helpful.

Upvote 0
hi Awoohaw!
My work laptop won't let me install XL2BB as I don't have admin privileges :(

I have put the row/column labels on the relevant cells, hopefully this helps!

Yes, the left most characters in Column N would be separated by a space, and everything in the Org Code list is 3-7 characters with no spaces

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--('[JV Data.XLSX]Data'!$E$2:$E$3=O23))=1,IF(SUMPRODUCT(--('[JV Data.XLSX]CODES'!$C$2:$C$300=LEFT(N23,3)))=1,TRUE,FALSE),TRUE)

Column AG is where I have my formula,

1710341651754.png

This is the [JV Data.XLSX]Data'!$E$2:$E$3 part which works okay - this is on a different file which is normally closed
1710341790896.png

This is the [JV Data.XLSX]CODES'!$C$2:$C$300 part - this is also on a different file that is normally closed. Normally this is sorted alphabetically, I just tried to show some different lengths and that they have no pattern etc
1710341079919.png

Upvote 0
After some more searching I found a formula to count how many characters before the first space, so I can add this to my formula instead of just looking up the first 3 characters and it works on any length
=find(" ",a1)-1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back