Lookup with variable column index number

bradderzh

Hey! Just registered to the site, but have been a long time lurker.

I was wondering if it is possible to use a lookup function (vlookup for instance) and force it to calculate the last populated cell in a row as the column index.

For instance:
Unique Id
1032TextTextText26950.0425
1150Text45750.0722
1151TextText2660.0042
1170TextTextText140.0002
1174TextTextText0.0089

<tbody>
</tbody>

Say I have this data set, is it possible create a formula that allows the lookup to find the last populated cell in the row and use that as the col_index_num?
I have been playing around max and column and managed to reference the column number of the last cell but cant seem to figure out how to use this in a lookup function.

Here is what I have so far:
=MAX(([the row selection]<>"")*(COLUMN([the row selection])))
It seems to work, but it relies on me manually selecting the row I want so wont work for a lookup function.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hey! Just registered to the site, but have been a long time lurker.

I was wondering if it is possible to use a lookup function (vlookup for instance) and force it to calculate the last populated cell in a row as the column index.

For instance:
Unique Id
Text
Text
Text
Text
Text
Text
Text
Text
Text
Text
Text
Text

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Say I have this data set, is it possible create a formula that allows the lookup to find the last populated cell in the row and use that as the col_index_num?
I have been playing around max and column and managed to reference the column number of the last cell but cant seem to figure out how to use this in a lookup function.

Here is what I have so far:
=MAX(([the row selection]<>"")*(COLUMN([the row selection])))
It seems to work, but it relies on me manually selecting the row I want so wont work for a lookup function.

Thanks in advance!

K2: 1170

L2, just enter:

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,INDEX(A:F,MATCH(K2,A:A,0),0))

Is this what you are after?

Upvote 0
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

This seems to work perfectly as far as I can tell. I haven't had much chance to dissect the formula (I am an excel noob really) but I am sure this will be easily applied to the purpose I have in mind. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

You are welcome.

This seems to work perfectly as far as I can tell. I haven't had much chance to dissect the formula (I am an excel noob really) but I am sure this will be easily applied to the purpose I have in mind. Thanks again!

LOOKUP with Excel's big constant picks out with lightening speed the last number it comes across in a given reference.

The reference in your case is constructed with INDEX, delivering all of the cells in a row that MATCH specifies by matching the look up value in K2 against the values in column A.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick explanation.

Haha I feel like I should be paying you! These response times are better than any help services my colleagues use when excel woes befall them! :P

One thing I will say is what is the use of the lookupvalue of '9.99999999999999E+307' What does that extremely large number mean in terms of the formula?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick explanation.

Haha I feel like I should be paying you! These response times are better than any help services my colleagues use when excel woes befall them! :P

One thing I will say is what is the use of the lookupvalue of '9.99999999999999E+307' What does that extremely large number mean in terms of the formula?

See for more information:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/102091-9-9999999-a.html
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/310278-vlookup-multiple-matches-match-returned.html

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcschafer209

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back