Lookupvalue function in PowerPivot

NairbNam

Hi Guys,

I'm working in PowerPivot 2013 and need some help.

I have a large table of transactional customer data (ordered by transaction date) that includes a number of different fields. Based on my years of data I want to determine if a certain characteristic 'HasCharacteristic' is met by a customer IE if([HasCharacteristic]=1,....,....).

If the characteristic is returned 'True' I want to us a unique 'CustomerID' field to look up the earliest date in this customer's history that this the 'HasCharacteristic' was satisfied as true. If 'False' I will return another date field 'AlternateDate'.

In excel this is a fairly straightforward task but I'm new to powerpivot and not sure how to attain the desired result within a calculated column. Am I asking too much of powerpivot?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
No, you are not asking too much of PowerPivot... at all. Likely this will be easier here than traditional excel, and certainly more portable/reusable.

When you say "customer's history" is that coming from a separate table... or is all this work just in 1 table?

As always, it's much easier to help if we can see a bit of sample data, or even better... share the workbook (dropbox/googledrive/whatever).

Upvote 0
Hi Scott,

It's all in a single table in PowerPivot and the columns I am interested in are:

CustID, ReportDate, IsProvisioned, OrderStartDate

So here's what I'm trying to do, if IsProvisioned = 1 then I want to look up the first ReportDate that this is true (IsProvisioned = 1) for based on the CustID, if it's false I want to use the OrderStartDate for this CustID.

Does that help to clarify at all?

If needed I can add a sample to GoogleDrive.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
It sounds like all the info required is on the same row of the table? If so, a simple calculated column will do you fine, and is just like you think:

=IF(MyTable[IsProvisioned] = 1, MyTable[ReportDate], MyTable[OrderStartDate])

Upvote 0
Actually, the info that is required is not on the same row, which is my dilemma. Each row represents a single month of customer transactions. What I need to determine is from this data, what was the first month where 'IsProvisioned' = 1 and return that on all rows. I'm not quite sure how to accomplish this in PowerPivot.

Upvote 0
Okay, I think this is what you need, just don't... you know cry and/or hurt me ;)
Rich (BB code):
=
IF (
    MyTable[IsProvisioned] = 0,
    MyTable[OrderStartDate],
    CALCULATE (
        MIN ( MyTable[ReportDate] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( MyTable ),
            MyTable[IsProvisioned] = 1
                && MyTable[CustID] = EARLIER ( MyTable[CustID] )
        )
    )
)

In psuedo-English:
If IsProvisioned is 0, return the order start date. Otherwise, go find me the min report date (MIN), by looking at the whole table (ALL) not just the current row, but only looking at rows where (FILTER) IsProvisioned=1 and the CustId are the same (EARLIER).

Note I have this as a calculated column which has the draw back of being "static". For this row, the value is never going to change, or respond dynamically to slicers and such. My reading of the problem was... that was fine.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamil ahmed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back