Loop through PDF files in a folder and save data in Excel

L

Legacy 316613

Hi All,

I am a very amateur and green VBA coder but learning new tricks every day.

Here is a big project I have:

I have PDF documents saved in a specific folder and would like to have the VBA code to do the following:

1) Either access the particular folder automatically or allow me to paste the path of the folder in a particular cell, lets say particular folder is C:\pdf or path of folder is in cell A2
2) I would like the program to loop through each one of the PDF files and paste all the pages into a new workbook which we can call C:\pdf\ExcelData.xlsx or xlsm (whichever is relevant)
3) Once I have the data in Excel and I assume it will be a very big file (I have 100+ pdf's) I want the code to look through the entire file of "bad data" and pick out a specific 8 digit numeric field such as "12345678" and paste it into a worksheet called "Codes" as well as capture the original file name of the PDF - for example file name is PDF1.pdf and the numerical field is "12345678" I would like the code to capture the following in the "Codes" worksheet - Column A - pdf1.pdf and Column B - "12345678"
4) To add further complexities, there may be several numeric fields in the same original PDF file and hence I would like to capture the following in the "Codes" worksheet:
Column A: pdf1.pdf Column B - 12345678
Column A: pdf1.pdf Column B - 23456789

etc...

I know this is asking for a lot but if I did this manually I would be looking at a minimum of 200-300 manhours and here is me hoping that you VBA experts can help me.

I would be using this code regularly and it will save me a lot of time and could lead to a promotion :)

Plz help!!

Hi Macropod,

UPDATE

Your code works on my friends laptop and he has Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2015 installed. I would just need the exact DLL which is needed for the code so that I can copy it. There are so many on the Reference list. I don't need the entire software (I think).

Can I kindly ask you to change the code in such a way that the pdfs are copied into one sheet, in column A, starting from cell A2, 1 under the other?

Anyway thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Hi Macropod,

I finally got my Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017 installed, modified the macro to my needs and.... stumbled upon another problem. As long as the pdf documents are 1 page everythig works well but in case of pdf with more pages than 1 the output in xlsx ist not the same as the original in pdf i.e. I noticed that the pages are doubled...??? So I get page 1 twice, page 2 twice etc.

Do you know where the problem might lie?

Rgds.

Upvote 0
There's nothing in the code I posted that would account for that. Evidently it has something to do with your modifications.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back