VBA - Save As PDF

Spaztic

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm working on a macro that would save my Excel workbook as a PDF.
I'm saving as pdf with some options (ignore print area, save entire workbook)...

This file will be used by many different users so the line "C:\Users\myname\OneDrive - Company\Desktop\folder\trial.pdf" probably won't work as it has my name entered and also the file name (currently 'trial') is not always the same. I'd like the saved pdf file name to be the same as the Excel file and stored in the same location as the Excel file.

Any help would be appreciated!

VBA Code:
Sub SavePDF()

ActiveWorkbook.Save
    ActiveWorkbook.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:= _
        "C:\Users\myname\OneDrive - Company\Desktop\folder\trial.pdf", _
        Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas _
        :=True, OpenAfterPublish:=False

End Sub

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Thisworkbook.Path will return the folder path where the workbook is located.
Thisworkbook.Name will return the name of the active wb but you probably want to drop the .xlsm or whatever the extension is.
Left(thisworkbook.Name,instr(thisworkbook.Name,".")-1) will drop the extension so that you can concatenate ".pdf"

If you assign the path and name to variables it would make code lines a bit shorter but it's not necessary. Note: the above assumes you don't have additional periods in file names. It used to drive me crazy as a coder when people put spaces and special characters in folder names because they just make things harder sometimes. Also, you could use Activeworkbook.Path but I don't think it's advisable if 2 or more wb's could be open at the same time, and one of those ends up being the active one.

Upvote 0
I might look like this
VBA Code:
Dim sPath As String, sName As String

sPath = ThisWorkbook.Path
sName = ThisWorkbook.Name
sName = Left(sName, InStrRev(sName, ".") - 1)

ThisWorkbook.Save
ActiveWorkbook.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, fileName:=sPath & "\" & sName & ".pdf", _
    Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=True, OpenAfterPublish:=False

Upvote 0
You're welcome and thanks for the recognition. Do note what I mentioned about Activeworkbook vs Thisworkbook and consider which is right for your situation. I changed it in a couple of places but didn't try it in the export part. I forgot to see if it was an option there also.

Upvote 0
You're welcome and thanks for the recognition. Do note what I mentioned about Activeworkbook vs Thisworkbook and consider which is right for your situation. I changed it in a couple of places but didn't try it in the export part. I forgot to see if it was an option there also.
I really appreciate it.

Do you know if there is an easy way to have a message box appear when the pdf file name already exists in the directory and it gives you an option whether you want to 'save over the existing file' or 'cancel'?

Upvote 0
One way
VBA Code:
Dim sPath As String, sName As String, sFind As String, sFound As String
Dim result As Integer

sPath = sPath & "\" & sName & ".pdf" 'edit sPath
sFound = Dir(sPath) 'if sFound="" then file does not exist

If sFound <> "" Then 'if True, file exists
    result = MsgBox(sPath & " already exists." & vbCrLf & "Over-write this file?", vbYesNo, "FILE EXISTS")
    If result = vbNo Then Exit Sub
    ThisWorkbook.Save
    ActiveWorkbook.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, fileName:=sPath, _
       Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=True, OpenAfterPublish:=False
End If
If you don't want the full path in the message, swap sPath to sName. If this code causes other procedures to run (e.g. workbook BeforeSave) you might have issues.. I suggest you step through the code; once before a file is created and again to over-write that same file and watch what happens.

Upvote 0
When I use this code, I get the error 'Bad File Name or Number'

Upvote 0
IMO, always best to post your version to show your implementation of the code. Sometimes things get messed up in the copied/pasted version. Also possible that something about the file name or path is poorly done, such as containing characters that are not allowed. You might want to check that against the rules.

To see the directory path that is causing this, put this after ThisWorkbook.Save line:
debug.print sPath
Stop

then run it and check the output in the immediate window. Look for anything amiss. If it looks right, is there anything in the path string that violates the rules shown at the link I gave you? Can you post the output, or if it's not for public viewing consider sending the output to me in a pm.

EDIT -when code execution hits the stop line it will hang. You could terminate it with the reset button or menu item on the vb editor toolbar.

Upvote 0
Here's another approach, using File Scripting Object which is a much more powerful and versatile tool than the Dir function.
Note - you must set a reference in the vbe. BTW, both codes work for me as expected; i.e. if file exists it prompts and either does or doesn't overwrite accordingly. If it doesn't exist, it just creates the pdf.

VBA Code:
Sub SavePDF2()
Dim sPath As String, sName As String
Dim result As Integer
Dim fso As Object, f As Object

sPath = sPath & "\" & sName & ".pdf" 'edit sPath
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
With fso
    If .FileExists(sPath) Then
        result = MsgBox(sPath & " already exists." & vbCrLf & "Over-write this file?", vbYesNo, "FILE EXISTS")
        If result = vbYes Then
            ThisWorkbook.Save
        End If
    End If
End With

Set fso = Nothing
Set f = Nothing

End Sub
EDIT - I tested a version that eliminates the With block and it works. So if you want to remove the With and End With lines you can use this instead:
VBA Code:
    If fso.FileExists(sPath) Then
        If result = vbYes Then
            ThisWorkbook.Save
        End If
    End If

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back