m/d/yyyy date format not working with VBA, but does manuall?

trillium

Board Regular
Hi
I have to convert a serial date into this specific format "m/d/yyyy" for an entire column. When I do it manually through Excel Format Cells / Custom and create "m/d/yyyy" is works. When I write VBA code to convert it, it doesn't work?

Code:
Columns("L:L").Select
Selection.NumberFormat = "m/d/yyyy"

This is very frustrating, working with dates....

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Try it this way
Code:
Columns("L").NumberFormat = "m/d/yyyy"
Or this way
Code:
Range("L:L").NumberFormat = "m/d/yyyy"

Upvote 0
ok, can you describe "doesn't work" ?

Do you get an error? What error?

Does the format actually get applied to the cells, but the values just don't appear correctly according to that format?
Or does the format NOT get applied to the cells.
i.e. After you run the code, select a cell in the range, and go to Format - Cells. Is the correct format shown?

What does this formula return
=ISNUMBER(L2)

Where L2 is one of the cells containing your dates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
trillium ,

You said serial dates?? Does excel recognise the values which they have as dates or they are in number format like MMDDYYYY??

Or which format they are in??

Saurabh...

Upvote 0
Sorry, you are right, I wasn't clear on what "Doesnt' work" means.

What I'm trying to do it remove the time stamp from inside a date that is generated in SharePoint, then exported into Excel (custom formatted as m/d/yyyy hh:mm am/pm)

Straight re-formatting doesn't work cuz the time part stays within the serial date # as a decimal (i.e 42383.4576), and it's messing up the report dashboard that was build and is just wanted straight dates to count # of case late for example.

Sharepoint is formatting the due date, created and modified dates as m/d/yyyy and that is how the data is also being filtered, so that's why I was trying to keep the formatting the same.

SO... to answer you... format doesn't seem to be applied (when I checked it's formatted as default date). And they do show as numbers when I check and will turn into serial date as well.

Any other suggestions when working with dates with timestamps coming from SharePoint?

ok, can you describe "doesn't work" ?

Do you get an error? What error?

Does the format actually get applied to the cells, but the values just don't appear correctly according to that format?
Or does the format NOT get applied to the cells.
i.e. After you run the code, select a cell in the range, and go to Format - Cells. Is the correct format shown?

What does this formula return
=ISNUMBER(L2)

Where L2 is one of the cells containing your dates.

Upvote 0
:( didn't work

Are you sure that your code is operating on the correct worksheet or does it fire only when some event occurs ?
This is dependant upon things like:
1) where the code resides
2) is the (correct) worksheet open/active?
3) What workbook/worksheet is referenced in the code?

To check these I would place a break in the code after column "L" is selected. When the code stops, refer back to correct sheet to see if col "L" is in fact selected.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guptasweb

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back