macro message box

JasonLeVan

Board Regular
Is there a way to have a message box pop up but continue running the rest of my macro

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Jason,

The important term you want to know is 'Modal.' A modal form or dialog is one that is going to cause it's parent to stop running until its own process is finished (sorry if you knew that already).

I am pretty confident that that VBA msgbox is always modal. There's no way to put one on the screen and have the macro that created it continue running.

However, Userforms can be non-modal. You can set up a userform to look a lot like a msgbox, if you want.

Code:
UserForm1.Show vbModeless

There may be better solutions, but this is how I'd do it. Remeber that you'll have to figure out when you want the userform to go away and either hide or unload it as necessary.

Upvote 0
Do you mean show a msgbox, dismiss it automatically and then continue with the rest of of the macro? If so, this will display a msgbox for 2 seconds, dismiss and then run the rest of the macro.

Code:
Public Sub test()
    Dim objWShell As Object, i
    Set objWShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

objWShell.Popup "Boo!", 2

'rest of macro

MsgBox "done"
End Sub

Upvote 0
this will work great, how do i hide it when i am done with the display

Jason,

The important term you want to know is 'Modal.' A modal form or dialog is one that is going to cause it's parent to stop running until its own process is finished (sorry if you knew that already).

I am pretty confident that that VBA msgbox is always modal. There's no way to put one on the screen and have the macro that created it continue running.

However, Userforms can be non-modal. You can set up a userform to look a lot like a msgbox, if you want.

Code:
UserForm1.Show vbModeless

There may be better solutions, but this is how I'd do it. Remeber that you'll have to figure out when you want the userform to go away and either hide or unload it as necessary.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the long wait. Had a tough week over here :(

You can hide the userform and keep it around in memory. This is kind of nice if you find yourself wanting to build onto information that you've already put into the form once already. Just remember to unload it later on.

Code:
'from somewhere other than the userform
Userform1.Hide

'from the code launched from the form itself (like a button event)
Me.Hide

If you're done with it and you don't want invisible forms hogging up your resources, use unload.

Code:
'from somewhere other than the userform
Unload Userform1

'from the code launched from the form itself (like a button event)
Unload Me

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back