Macro select blank cells (with formula)

misiek5510

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
HI all,

I have the following macro which works, however is selecting blank cells which is causing problems. The cells are blank however are containing formulas, but since I'm coping them as values only it shouldn't matter?
When I paste it on the sheet "Data" it Pastes with the blank cells, and next time I use this macro it pastes AFTER the blank cells instead of right after the last row with data.

Sub add()

Range("B5").Select
Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select
Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Data").Select
Range("Data[[#Headers],[Site]]").Select
Selection.End(xlDown).Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
:=True, Transpose:=False
End Sub

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Can there be intermittent blanks in the data? The best way is you use a find command on the data range working backwards with "*?" as criteria.

The problem with this is that if there are blanks in the bottom right corner of the actual data range then you could miss the last row / column if it is not done correctly.

Upvote 0
How about
VBA Code:
Sub misiek()
   Dim Rng As Range

Set Rng = Range("B5", Range("B5").End(xlDown))
   Set Rng = Range(Rng, Rng.End(xlToRight))
   With Sheets("Data").Range("Data[[#Headers],[Site]]").End(xlDown)
      .Resize(Rng.Rows.Count, Rng.Columns.Count).Value = Rng.Value
   End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Don't think that's gonna fix the problem @Fluff, it's still gonna pick up and transfer the extra blanks at the bottom. I was thinking more like this, although it probably needs some refinement.
VBA Code:
Sub add()
Dim rFound As Range
Set rFound = ActiveSheet.Cells.Find("?*", , xlValues, xlWhole, xlByRows, xlPrevious, False, False, False)
Sheets("Data").Range("Data[[#Headers],[Site]]").Value = Range("B5", fRound).Value
End Sub

Upvote 0
But the blank cells will be empty rather than containing a null string, so all should be ok.

Upvote 0
the blank cells will be empty
I'm showing my lack of vba skill again, I thought that it would still see the null strings in the empty rows as values though. I just ran your code on a quick test to satisfy my curiosity and the one thing that I notice is that it still adds empty rows at the bottom of the table equal to the number of blank rows in the source data even though there is nothing in them. Think it would be tidier if the blanks were snipped at source so that the table ends with the last row of actual data, but that's probably just me having an ocd moment.

Upvote 0
How about
VBA Code:
Sub misiek()
   Dim Rng As Range

Set Rng = Range("B5", Range("B5").End(xlDown))
   Set Rng = Range(Rng, Rng.End(xlToRight))
   With Sheets("Data").Range("Data[[#Headers],[Site]]").End(xlDown)
      .Resize(Rng.Rows.Count, Rng.Columns.Count).Value = Rng.Value
   End With
End Sub
Hi. Thank you for replying. I just got back to work to try both codes and the code from Fluff does not fail, but absolutely nothing happens for some reason? and the code from jasonb fails.

I've amended the code to as follows, but it still does not work. It selects the range and it pastes it in the table but always replaces the last row and sometimes it pastes over the blanks and sometimes it doesn't..

Sub test2()
Range("B5:E24").Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Data").Select
Range("Data[[#Headers],[Site]]").Select
Selection.End(xlDown).Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
:=True, Transpose:=False
End Sub

1638267344144.png

1638267297863.png

Upvote 0
and the code from jasonb fails.
'fails' is a bit of an ambiguous term, could you be more specific please.
You will note that I did say in my post,
I was thinking more like this, although it probably needs some refinement.
the code provided was only a quick untested theory in a side discussion with fluff, it wasn't intended to be a final working method.

In theory this should work, but if you currently have blanks at the bottom of the Data table from previous attempts then you will need to clear them first.

VBA Code:
Sub add()
Dim rFound As Range
Set rFound = ActiveSheet.Cells.Find("?*", , xlValues, xlWhole, xlByRows, xlPrevious, False, False, False)
Sheets("Data").Range("Data[[#Headers],[Site]]").End(xlDown).Offset(, 1).Value = Range("B5", fRound).Value
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. Apologies, the error says: Run-time error 1004: Method Range of object Global Failed.

Upvote 0
See if this works,
VBA Code:
Sub add()
Dim rFound As Range, rng As Range
Set rFound = ActiveSheet.Cells.Find("?*", Range("A1"), xlValues, xlWhole, xlByRows, xlPrevious, False, False, False)
Set rng = Range("B5", rFound)
Sheets("Data").Range("Data[[#Headers],[Site]]").End(xlDown).Offset(, 1).Resize(rng.Rows.Count, rng.Columns.Count).Value = rng.Value
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheerfulWalker

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back