Macro sub that inserts formula for an entire range ?

mphansen

I have the following code:

Sub Last()
Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Offset(0, 1).Select
End Sub
Sub update()
'
' update Macro
' Macro recorded 9/23/02 by me04518
'
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = _
"=IF(OR(ISERROR(MATCH(R1C,'[Master Performance Sheet.xls]Manager'!C3,0)),R1C=""""),"""",INDEX('[Master Performance Sheet.xls]Manager'!C1:C7,MATCH(R1C,'[Master Performance Sheet.xls]Manager'!C3,0),6))"
End Sub

Sub update1()
'
' update1 Macro
' Macro recorded 9/23/02 by me04518
'
'
Application.Run "'Manager Analysis Macro.xls'!Last"
Application.Run "'Manager Analysis Macro.xls'!update"
End Sub

My problem is that I need one of the subs to also enter the formula into C13, D13,....where any name in Row 1:1 is present. The current code inserts the formula into B13. How can I do this ?

THank you - Mark

BTW - is there a better way to condense Sub Last(), Sub Update() & Sub Update1()
Book1
ABCDEFG
1$1:$301AgnosAggerBisonBerkDomDirk
2Oct-01-0.82%-0.76%3.55%-1.73%5.35%-7.22%
3Nov-011.02%1.04%2.77%1.12%1.57%-5.90%
4Dec-01-0.12%-0.15%3.25%0.89%0.52%-1.11%
5Jan-020.55%0.54%1.57%3.51%1.90%-1.00%
6Feb-020.67%0.68%0.52%-1.43%-4.26%1.90%
7Mar-020.20%0.19%1.25%3.71%2.12%-0.80%
8Apr-020.83%0.85%1.76%3.27%1.29%5.80%
9May-021.01%0.91%1.21%0.21%-2.17%1.90%
10Jun-020.41%0.41%-1.00%-1.64%-9.44%6.20%
11Jul-021.07%1.07%-0.25%-4.27%-4.19%4.30%
12Aug-020.51%0.52%1.60%-4.37%6.05%1.10%
13Sep-02
ReturnData

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
A few questions:

1. What is in [Master Performance Sheet.xls]Manager'!C3?
2. Why are you using MATCH on it? MATCH is normally used on a range not a single cell.
3. Doesn't your INDEX formula return a #REF! error? There is only one column, but you are referencing column 6.
4. Is your real purpose to find in range C1:C7 what is in row 1 of columns B:G and return what is in range H1:H7?

Upvote 0
Andrew - finally had a chance to see your reply. My replies to your questions are below.

1. What is in [Master Performance Sheet.xls]Manager'!C3?

In this sheet called (Retrieval) are names that also appear in the sheet Master Perf.. (Source)

2. Why are you using MATCH on it? MATCH is normally used on a range not a single cell.

I've used match to determine first if the name is present in the Source sheet and if not = blank, and second, if there is no name in the row the formula references, then = blank

3. Doesn't your INDEX formula return a #REF! error? There is only one column, but you are referencing column 6.

If there is a name match in the Source sheet, then the index formula pulls the data in the 6th column from the Source sheet that corresponds to the name.

4. Is your real purpose to find in range C1:C7 what is in row 1 of columns B:G and return what is in range H1:H7?

Range C1:C7 in formula notation actually refers to Range $A:$G in the Source sheet. In VBA code the "C" represents absolute referencing & 1:7 represents Columns A:G Regarding your question about Row 1 of columns B:G, that basically goes back to what my formula was doing with match & index, if no name or no match, then = "", otherwise have formula pull in data. Re: H1:H7, that column is blank

Hope this clarifies. Any insight still appreciated - Mark

Upvote 0
Sorry to waste your time with my stupid questions - I missed the fact that the formula was all in R1C1 notation.

Anyway, this seems to work:

Code:
Sub Test()
    Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Offset(0, 1).Resize(, 6).Select
    Selection.FormulaR1C1 = _
    "=IF(OR(ISERROR(MATCH(R1C,'[Master Performance Sheet.xls]Manager'!C3,0)),R1C=""""),"""",INDEX('[Master Performance Sheet.xls]Manager'!C1:C7,MATCH(R1C,'[Master Performance Sheet.xls]Manager'!C3,0),6))"
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew - your last solution works perfectly - but let me ask you one last thing. My example included in the post was only a hypothetical. The real "Retrieval" sheet actually contains about 200 columns of names in row 1 and the corresponding data below those names. As names/data are added, the number of columns/data increases.

The Resize property you included is limited to the resize value...i.e. 6 in your example. How can I have the resize identify how many columns are included in row 1 and have the Resize adjust accordingly ?

I'm almost there - Mark

Upvote 0
Like this:

Code:
Sub Test()
    Dim LastCol As Integer
    LastCol = Range("IV1").End(xlToLeft).Column
    Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Offset(0, 1).Resize(, LastCol - 1).Select
End Sub

Upvote 0
Andrew - perfect. One last item (I promise!) that I didn't take into account in my original post.

That items concerns Column A. Unless I (or someone else) remembers to insert an extra month every new month, the code will always paste over the last row. If I extend the dates in column A, code pastes into the last row which will not be the correct month.

I've seen some posts such as:
Application.Match(CLng(Date), Range("Sheet1!A1:A100"), 0)

Can Date in the code above be altered in some way to reflect the excel formula: DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY()),1) = which equals current month, this case September and can this be factored into the code you had supplied ?

Sorry to drag this out -
Mark

Upvote 0
You can just test if column B is blank, like this:

Code:
Sub Test()
    Dim LastCol As Integer
    LastCol = Range("IV1").End(xlToLeft).Column
    Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Offset(0, 1).Resize(, LastCol - 1).Select
    If IsEmpty(Selection.Cells(1.1)) Then
    Else
        Selection.Resize(1, 1).Offset(1, -1).Select
        MsgBox "You forgot to put the new month in Column A!"
    End If
End Sub

It occurs to me that you may want to range value your formulas, because they will be invalid when you advance the month. If so insert this immediately after the line which assigns the formulas.

Code:
Dim c As Range
For Each c in Selection
    c.Value = c.Value
Next c

Upvote 0
Thanks to Andrew Poulsom's help - I've got some code that pulls values from a workbook meeting certain parameters I've defined.

There's one glitch in my code which is preventing me from using a command button located on a different sheet. The problem is that the code is running on the active sheet and I believe the troublesome line is :
Sheet2.Range("A1").Offset(MonthInsert - 1, 1).Resize(, LastCol - 1).Select

Does the problem lie in Sheet2.Range...?

Full code follows below:
Appreciate any suggestions - Mark

Sub Testmonthlies()
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'Pulls in monthly & midmonth returns from Master Performance Sheet.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Dim LastCol As Integer
LastCol = Sheet2.Range("IV1").End(xlToLeft).Column
Dim x As Long, Rng As Range
Dim RecentMonth As Date
Set Rng = Sheet2.Range("A:A")

' Date parameters
If Date<= Sheet1.Range("A3") Then
RecentMonth = Sheet1.Range("A1")
Else
RecentMonth = Sheet1.Range("A2")
End If

' Identifies the date parameter met and selects applicable row
MonthInsert = Application.Match(CLng(RecentMonth), Rng, 0)
If IsError(MonthInsert) Then
MsgBox "More months need to be added in Column A"
Exit Sub
Else
Sheet2.Range("A1").Offset(MonthInsert - 1, 1).Resize(, LastCol - 1).Select
End If

' formula to retrieve returns from Master Performance Sheet
"=IF(OR(ISERROR(MATCH(R1C,'E:Shared FilesPortfolio MgmtMonthly Manager Notes[Master Performance Sheet.xls]Manager'!C3,0)),R1C=""""),"""",INDEX('E:Shared FilesPortfolio MgmtMonthly Manager Notes[Master Performance Sheet.xls]Manager'!C1:C7,MATCH(R1C,'E:Shared FilesPortfolio MgmtMonthly Manager Notes[Master Performance Sheet.xls]Manager'!C3,0),6))"
With Selection
.copy
.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:= _
False, Transpose:=False
.NumberFormat = "0.00%"
End With
End Sub
This message was edited by mphansen on 2002-10-02 23:37

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kon123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back