Macro to anchor formulas/make references absolute - not working with some formulas

tcowap

Hi There,

I have a macro which takes the current formula in a cell and anchors each reference (makes them absolute instead of relative), the macro is as follows:

ActiveCell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula(ActiveCell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlAbsolute, ActiveCell)

This works with all the formulas I’ve used it on before, but I just ran it on the following formula:

=('UK P&L monthly'!C24+'UK P&L monthly'!C25+'UK P&L monthly'!C39+'UK P&L monthly'!C44+'UK P&L monthly'!C45+'UK P&L monthly'!C40+'UK P&L monthly'!C41+'UK P&L monthly'!C42+'UK P&L monthly'!C46)*'Balance sheet'!$F$120/SUM('Working capital'!O$4:Q$4)

(Bit of an ugly formula sorry)

For some reason the cell just became "#value" rather than replacing the formula with an anchored version-does anyone know what it is about this formula that prevents the macro working or what needs to be changed? Thanks.

T

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
try it on

=('UK P&L monthly'!C24+'UK P&L monthly'!C25*'Balance sheet'!$F$120/SUM('Working capital'!O$4:Q$4)

then on

=('UK P&L monthly'!C24+'UK P&L monthly'!C25*'Balance sheet'!$F$120)

then on

=('UK P&L monthly'!C24+'UK P&L monthly'!C25)

Upvote 0
Interestingly:

It doesn’t work on:

=('UK P&L monthly'!C24+'UK P&L monthly'!C25*'Balance sheet'!$F$120/SUM('Working capital'!O$4:Q$4)

It does work on:

=('UK P&L monthly'!C24+'UK P&L monthly'!C25*'Balance sheet'!$F$120)

It does work on:

=('UK P&L monthly'!C24+'UK P&L monthly'!C25)

Through trial and error I think it works on anything with less then 4 elements in the formula (don’t know if elements is the correct term), here’s what I mean:

It would work on:
=(x+x+x)
=sum(x:y)+sum(a:b)+sum(c:e)

It would not work on:
=(x+x+x+x)
= sum(x:y)+sum(a:b)+sum(c:e)+sum(h:i)

I have no idea why though-I don’t understand why formulas being over a certain size stop it working or how to re write the macro to overcome this? Would really appreciate it if you could explain the logic and/or a solution. Thanks a lot

T

Upvote 0
change
to
=('UK P&L monthly'!C24+'UK P&L monthly'!C25*'Balance sheet'!$F$120/4

Upvote 0
with a c losing bracket on the end - just testing to see if you are paying attention.............

Upvote 0
change
to
=('UK P&L monthly'!C24+'UK P&L monthly'!C25*'Balance sheet'!$F$120/4

Thing is if I change the formulas the file stops working the way it should- do you know why it's working with some and not others?

Upvote 0
It doesn’t work on:

it my be a typo on your part but you have two ( and only one )

Upvote 0
It doesn’t work on:

but it does work if you change
SUM('Working capital'!O$4:Q$4) to 4

in spare cell put =
SUM('Working capital'!O$4:Q$4) and tell me what the answer is

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
al mugheen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back