Macro to expand a range of alphanumeric text

blooze_hound

Hello,
I'm looking for a macro for Excel 2007 to expand alphanumeric text contained in a column. For example cell A:1 may contain TP1-6 TP30-TP34 which would be expanded into TP1, TP2, TP3, TP4, TP5, TP6, TP30, TP31, TP32, TP33, TP34 and placed into an empty cell in B:1. Cell A:2 may contain X1-X19, expanded to X1, X2, X3, X4, etc and placed into an empty cell in B:2. Any cells without ranges it would need to copy the contents to the adjacent empty cell. This would then be repeated for the entire column with varying text before the numbers (R12-23, JP3-7 etc) until a blank cell is reached. The range will always be delineated with the dash.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Excel 2007
AB
1TP1-6 TP30-34TP1, TP2, TP3, TP4, TP5, TP6, TP30, TP31, TP32, TP33, TP34
2R1R1
3R13, R14, R15, R16R13, R14, R15, R16
4X19-X20X19,X20
5R3 R9 R10 R26R3 R9 R10 R26

<tbody>
</tbody>

I hope you won't take offense at my comments, but I do not like how your code handles "problem" series. I know you said (in Message #14)...

"Remark: I assume the input string has no syntax errors"

but mistakes happen, ...

1 - NO! I don't take offense and I welcome your comments in this thread and in any other. I learn from them.

2 - For the solution I posted, mistakes don't happen, that's what my assumption says. Think of it like the input is automatically generated. For ex., you get your bank statement for last month and you have the list with all your transactions. All those transactions have a known format and there are no mistakes (hopefully).

3 - I could also answer another problem, the problem you are answering, in which there may be mistakes.

In that case my solution would not mix expanding the ranges and dealing with input errors.
I would have 2 pieces of code that would run in sequence (unless Step 1 detects errors, in which case the program doesn't go on to step 2):

Step 1 - a code that validates the input text, and if that is the case signals the errors found
Step 2 - a code to expand the ranges

You can think the solution I posted as the Step 2.

This means that your solution is more complete than mine as it includes both validating the input and expanding the ranges, whilst mine only expands the ranges.

I'm really not interested in doing Step 1 or going much deeper into this problem. As you know this is already the nth iteration, with specifications changing with each post. A good example of this is how you start your last post "Well, that changes everything.". I just posted solutions that solve the expansion of the ranges part of what is my current understanding (/guessing) of the problem.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
I have checked with both of your solutions. Below is a good example of what I am looking at.
Rev codes 0730, 0750, 0490, 0258, 0769 CPT T5355-T5360, 45342-45345, 4530S-4535S, G0328, 45333-45340, 45341, G0120-G0121, G0104-G0105, 4537R-4540R Base 20, V20.1- V20.6, M20.1-20.4
I have a sheet with hundreds of cells containing criterias like mentioned as about these are Healthcare codes. I am not able to use this in my formulas and codes untill and unless the ranges and seperated.
The solution provided by you works except for the Dignosis codes which contain a Dot. and the solution provided by Rick not working at all, I might not using it properly, as his previous codes was working good.
Still thanks for all your help, you both are Guru's in Excel and VBA
:biggrin:

Upvote 0
I have come across situation as they are implementing new ICD10 coding system I have code ranges where ALPHA character is not at end or starting position e.g. 123T22 - 123T45. now here I know the initial 4 letters are fixed regardless they are alpha or numeric. can we change the code where we can put the fixed char so it will not matter what position the alpha char is.

Upvote 0
I have come across situation as they are implementing new ICD10 coding system I have code ranges where ALPHA character is not at end or starting position e.g. 123T22 - 123T45. now here I know the initial 4 letters are fixed regardless they are alpha or numeric. can we change the code where we can put the fixed char so it will not matter what position the alpha char is.

Any help ?

Upvote 0
I found a turnaround for this but not a complete solution. for the range like 123T45-123T60 I put a formula like

=SUBSTITUE(ExpandSeries(SUBSTITUTE(A11,"123T","123")),"123","123T")

and it worked but as there are hundreds f rows it is not a solution.

This can be done if we compare the start and end code for common part ('i.e. 123T) remove it and put it back when the list populated, also there could be alphabet at ending.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back