Macro

rhr9357

I want to create a macro. I am in a file called Period 4 Food Cost. I want to get a copy of a range of values in another file so I can paste them in the file I am in but I want to be able to select the file and after I have the macro will get the range of numbers I want and paste them in the current file.:confused: Do I use a {?} in the macro to look for the file?

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
This is how to browse for and open a file

Code:
Sub GetFileNameExample()
Dim fName As Variant
fName = Application.GetOpenFilename(FileFilter:="Excel Files (*.XLS), *.XLS", Title:="Select File To Be Opened")
If fName = False Then Exit Sub
Workbooks.Open Filename:=fName
End Sub

Upvote 0
The following will give you the File Open dialog and let you choose the workbook to open.

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> GetOpenFileName()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> FileName <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> Filt <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>, Title <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> FilterIndex <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Integer</SPAN>, Response <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Integer</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set Drive letter</SPAN><br>        ChDrive "C:\"<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set to Specified Path\Folder</SPAN><br>        ChDir "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\"<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set File Filter</SPAN><br>        Filt = "Excel Files (*.xls), *.xls"<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set *.* to Default</SPAN><br>        FilterIndex = 5<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set Dialogue Box Caption</SPAN><br>        Title = "Please select a different File"<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Get FileName</SPAN><br>        FileName = Application.GetOpenFileName(FileFilter:=Filt, _<br>            FilterIndex:=FilterIndex, Title:=Title)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Exit if Dialogue box cancelled</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> FileName = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            Response = MsgBox("No File was selected", vbOKOnly & vbCritical, "Selection Error")<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Display Full Path & File Name</SPAN><br>        Response = MsgBox("You selected " & FileName, vbInformation, "Proceed")<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Open Selected Workbook</SPAN><br>        Workbooks.Open FileName<br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

You can record a macro copying/pasting from the newly opened wb to the other one, and append it to the code after the wb opens.

HTH,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back