Macros Disappear in "Save As"

jpf5911

Board Regular
I have a file with a couple of simple macros. Every month I make a new version of it by doing a "Save As" and changing the name.

I have been doing this exact process for years and the two macros have always been available in the new file. This month, for some reason, the macros did not make it to the new file. I double-checked to make sure it has been saved as macro enabled. I have repeated the "Save As" process a couple of times but the macros will not show up in the new file.

Where are my macros?

Thanks,

J

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Can you update your profile to show which version you are using ?
I have found if I am using AutoSave in 365 it was defaulting to .xlsx, then when I did a SaveAs the macros were already gone !!
Do you have an older version of the workbook where you can recover the macros ??

Upvote 0
This version:
1654214625157.png

I am not using any Auto Save, I just do a "Save As" and change the name.

I did figure out that if I opened both files (last month's with the macros and this months without the macros) that I can run the macros in this month's file even though they don't seem to be there. I want the macros to carry over in the Save As so I don't have to open some old file.

Upvote 0
So, you are saving as an .xlsm extension ??
When you change the name in the SaveAs, just check the file type in the dropdown below the filename

Upvote 0
Are the macros stored in "This Workbook" in the current file OR are they in your Personal .xls file ?
Als, have a read of this from another thread.....and if that doesn't help, I'm stumped !!

I have seen this happen multiple times, and eventually found a fairly easy solution. To first summarize the problem, we have an excel workbook with macros. After saving and latter reopening the workbook, the macros are no longer there. Even selecting alt F11 ,fails to show any macros, even though macros are enabled in trust center. The solution which has worked for me each time is to simply do the following. Copy the Excel file to a thumb drive, and then open on a different computer. When the file opens, you will see an option at the top of the worksheet to Enable Functions. Click yes. At this point you can click alt F11 to verify that your macros are there. Assuming they are (this has worked for me every time), simply save the file, and then save back to your original location. When you open the workbook yur macros will be visible. Good luck, and keep Excelling.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back