Macros in Excel 2007 vs 2010 vs 2013

lkollmorgen

This may be a difficult question to answer, because I can't supply the exact macros I'm using but I will try to give a good description.

Essentially the original workbook has data for multiple sales branches across different categories. The macro essentially makes a new workbook for each individual branch, so that each one can be sent to a branch without them seeing the others' data. To do this it just copies and pastes special values each tab after it selects the branch, then saves it as a new workbook and moves on to the next. That shouldn't matter too much for my question.

The original macro to do this was written in Excel 2007. When I started I was given a computer with Excel 2010. The macros would sometimes freeze up after a few branches and Excel would go into "Not Responding". It never broke in the same spot, and the branches it managed to finish were done correctly, so the macro didn't have any "bugs" causing the report to process incorrectly. The same thing happened on another report at my company when someone switched from 2007 to 2013, their report was unable to run. But I can run that report fine in 2010.

My question (finally) is, is there a decrease in available memory for macros happening as Excel comes out with new versions? To me it seems the opposite should happen. All these computers are running Windows 7 and have at least a I5 processor with at least 4GB of RAM, so the computer should not be the limiting factor. Thank you for any help you can give me!

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
As far as I know, there are some features that existed in old versions disappear in new versions.
For example. the search folder function.
So I think it is possible to have some bugs if moving on to new versions.
Thanks,
Mia

Upvote 0
Yeah, I could definitely see there being bugs when moving to a new version. But for the reasons I stated in my original post, I don't think it's a bug in any of the code I'm using. Rather Excel seems to be running out of memory to complete the macro.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back