*MAGIC* Changing embedded icons in Excel! ...but why?

djzachary

I have an Excel version 2003 workbook that I use as a "launch pad" for other tools. The launch pad has embedded in it various types of files (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Acrobat).

The files are embedded by using "Insert > Object > Create from File" and then browsing for the file and selecting "Display as Icon."

This works great; however, if an embedded file is opened from the launch pad and kept open for a while (around 5-10 minutes or so), then the icon for that file changes in the launch pad!

The two situations that occur:
1. Excel icons and labels have the tendancy to disappear although the embedded file link is still there (you just cannot see it)
2. PDF icons tend to change from the standard PDF/Adobe icon to a "package" icon and the label changes to say "Package"

I originally thought this might be a WYSIWYG issue, but if I save the launch pad after these changes appeared, they are NOT corrected when the launch pad is re-opened.

By the way, the launch pad worksheet is protected; however the workbook is not.

This is quite frustrating! Any insight into this would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Zach

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Make that 8.32 years.

I can understand why. There are not many posts on the internet asking about this. Either not many people use embedded objects.

Over the last year I have found them to be very useful. I have an Excel sheet that I use daily with many Excel sheets embedded in it.

The strange this is that some icons remain in their "normal" form while others lose their label and/or Excel logo quickly (within one or two loads of the main sheet).

Some day I plan to re-save all the embedded files and attempt to re-embed them to see if results are consistent. There may be a work around to be discovered in there somewhere.

I just experimented with many of the picture and drawing formatting tools in Excel 2010 and while I'm able to reshape, recolor, resize, rotate and otherwise manipulate the icon, I have not yet found a way to bring back its Excel logo or to bring back its text label (once they are gone).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back