Make Copy and Paste Run Faster with Assignments

norts55

Board Regular
I have a lot of different recorded macros that do a lot of copying and pasting. I never really cared about the fact that these macros are probably not the most efficiently written code. But I watched a video about making your code run 1000 times faster and it has me thinking that maybe I should try to write the code better than what just gets recorded during the record macro - because some of my macro are slow.
Below is a simple recorded code. The video talked about assignments but I've tried to modify this code to what the person in the video was doing with no luck.
Is there a way to do assignments with this code?

VBA Code:
    Sheets("Bid Sheet").Select
    Range("K2").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Sheets("Bid Sheet-Org").Select
    Range("K2").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
You can do this in either of two ways, depending on whether you want to copy everything (the first one) or just the value (the second one):
VBA Code:
    Sheets("Bid Sheet").Range("K2").Copy Destination:=Sheets("Bid Sheet-Org").Range("K2")
or
VBA Code:
    Sheets("Bid Sheet-Org").Range("K2").Value = Sheets("Bid Sheet").Range("K2").Value
There is no need to select a sheet or a range.

Upvote 0
I assume you are talking about Paul Kelly's video

CephasOz 2nd example is what Paul refers to as being assignment.
This method only works if you want to transfer the value of the cell(s) to another cell(s).
Your recorded macro is a full copy-paste which copies everything from the cell ie the content whether that be a value or formula and all the other characteristics such as Font, Fill Colour, Borders etc. An assignment really on works well with Values.

Converting from a recorded macro
1) You want to avoid Select & Activate - eg CephasOz's first example does this
2) Use assignment if you only want to copy across the values
3) Turn off ScreenUpdating and Calculations

Upvote 0
Thank you for the responses. Yes, that is the video. It's very well done, just a little above my knowledge.

I used CephasOz's first example and it works great. However, I have now noticed some of the recorded macros are doing a paste special. Is there a way to make this more efficient? - I can't decipherer where the paste is happening. - It appears it just happens.

VBA Code:
    Range("X2").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Range("V1").Select
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
        :=False, Transpose:=False

Upvote 0
I am not sure what you mean by "can't decipherer where the paste is happening" but see if this helps

Rich (BB code):
Sub CopyPasteSpecial()

' Replace this
    Range("X2").Select
    Selection.Copy

'With this (copy)
    Sheets("Bid Sheet").Range("X2").Copy

' Replace this
    Range("V1").Select
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _

'With this (paste)
    Sheets("Bid Sheet-Org").Range("V1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you, that explains a lot.
One other thing I am finding. A lot of times, I am using select to select sheets then run another application. Is there a more efficient way to write this? I have tried to just drop the .select, but that gives me an error.

VBA Code:
    Application.Run "'" & ActiveWorkbook.Name & "'" & "!Fix_Font_Color"

Upvote 0
If you are just doing copy/paste operations, there is no need to select or activate a particular worksheet. But - if you are doing something that relies on a particular worksheet being the ActiveSheet - then you will need to do that first. Where is Fix_Font_Color stored, and what does the code look like?

Upvote 0
Ok, that is making sense.
Fix_Font_Color is actually a few macros I have stored in my workbook.

2024-02-06_17h24_14.png

Upvote 0
You can't make your code more efficient for your call to Fix_Font_Color. If it requires "Bid Sheet" to be the active worksheet, else the code gives an error, then you must Select it before you call Fix_Font_Color.

It's only where you are moving or interrogating data that you should avoid doing a Select for either worksheet or cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back