Manipulating file name strings

JoeS01

I have a filename in the format XXX-YYY-ZZZ.xls, where all the XXX and YYY and ZZZ are of variable length. Sometimes it is of the format UUU-XXX-YYY-ZZZZ.xls

I wish to delete all the characters to the left of the rightmost "-" character, including that "-" character.

Can anyone please advise which VBA string manipulation function will best do this?

regards,
Joe

Last edited:
Joe

I think you've still got more in there than you need. Have a look at these two and see if they still do what you want.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> ChangeFileName1()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> strInput <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> RemoveMinus$<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> workRRay <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN><br> <br>    strInput = "XXX-YYY-UUUU.xls"<br>    workRRay = Split(strInput, "-")<br>    RemoveMinus = workRRay(UBound(workRRay))<br>    MsgBox RemoveMinus<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> ChangeFileName2()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> strInput <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> RemoveMinus$<br>    <br>    strInput = "XXX-YYY-UUUU.xls"<br>    RemoveMinus = Right(strInput, Len(strInput) - InStrRev(strInput, "-"))<br>    MsgBox RemoveMinus<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Thanks Peter and Mike. I like both ways, they both do the job quite well, but Mike's is preferred because the Split function I have used many times before, an dit is easy to understand ( I am used to working with arrays).

I have a bit of trouble understanding how Peter's method works, not being right up on string manipulation :(

regards,
Joe

Upvote 0
Thanks Peter and Mike. I like both ways, they both do the job quite well, but Mike's is preferred because the Split function I have used many times before, an dit is easy to understand ( I am used to working with arrays).

I have a bit of trouble understanding how Peter's method works, not being right up on string manipulation :(

regards,
Joe
I'm not sure if you understood that I was suggesting two different ways, not one way with two components.

You had indicated that you modified Mike's code to suit your purposes. My first set of code was just a simplification of your code, still using the Split function. I was indicating ...

1. That you didn't need a separate test to see if there was no "-" chaarcters in the string, and

2. That you didn't need any looping (GoTo Test) because the result could be achieved with just one pass of the code every time.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter so long as you have a method that is working and you are happy with it. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back