Manual automation - Need to add "ENTER" to a string in Excel which I can paste to another app

banik2008

Hello all,

I have the great misfortune of having to use a command-line DOS-type application (Putty) for some of my work. Instead of typing the commands manually each time, I have created an Excel file which looks up the different filenames and strings for me, which I can copy from Excel and paste as a command in Putty. This works fine for simple commands, but there are some which need the following sequence:

command FILENAME -modifier [ENTER]
n [ENTER]
y [ENTER]

I have tried using concatenations with CHAR(10) in the formula to simulate the [ENTER] key, but that doesn't work, as Excel adds quotation marks to the string, which makes it unusable.

Is there a way to simulate the sequence above so that I can just paste the output from Excel directly into Putty?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vexceled

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...