Master worksheet automatically updating other sorted worksheets.

TB Frank

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I haven't managed to find this exact query elsewhere although I'd be surprised others haven't asked something similar - so apologies if it's already been answered.
I want to provide non-tech users with a suite of sorted/subtotalled/charted etc views of their data in different worksheets, which will be updated automatically whenever they use 'get data' to update a master worksheet. I know something about referencing data from another worksheet - but I'm not managing to display data sourced from a master worksheet automatically sorted differently.
Here's a simplified example - suppose a user uses Get Data to populate the first (master) worksheet with these two columns:

Name Score
Eve 8
Ann 6
Tom 9
Dave 7

I want to build a 2nd worksheet which will immediately and automatically display this data sorted by score (without the user needing to click on any column heading or sort function)

Name Score
Tom 9
Eve 8
Dave 7
Ann 6

The user can replace the master data with a new upload, and the 2nd worksheet will show the new data sorted by score.

I'm hoping there's a strategy or trick for doing this which I can then apply to a range of layouts and charts etc.

Thanks in advance for help with this.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Welcome to the forum :)

You indicate you have 365, so the following should work for you (updates automatically - I went as far as row 31, you go as far down as you think you'll ever need)

Book1
AB
1NameScore
2Eve9
3Ann8
4Tom7
5Dave6
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2:B5A2=SORT(FILTER(Sheet1!A2:B31,Sheet1!A2:A31<>"",""),2,-1)
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Solution
Welcome to the forum :)

You indicate you have 365, so the following should work for you (updates automatically - I went as far as row 31, you go as far down as you think you'll ever need)

Book1
AB
1NameScore
2Eve9
3Ann8
4Tom7
5Dave6
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2:B5A2=SORT(FILTER(Sheet1!A2:B31,Sheet1!A2:A31<>"",""),2,-1)
Dynamic array formulas.
Hi Kevin - thanks so much for that - yes it worked for me and will help a great deal.
I've been looking through Dynamic Array functions for something on subtotalling (columns) - presuming any subtotalling I would want to add to the Sort would have be done within the formula - but is that at all possible?
TB

Upvote 0
Glad it worked for you and thanks for the feedback (y) :)
Regarding the subtotal, a simple Sum() formula on sheet 2 on column B will give you the total score of the filtered/sorted values on sheet 2 - is that what you were looking for?

Upvote 0
Glad it worked for you and thanks for the feedback (y) :)
Regarding the subtotal, a simple Sum() formula on sheet 2 on column B will give you the total score of the filtered/sorted values on sheet 2 - is that what you were looking for?
Hi. Thanks again. I don't think a simple Sum gets me the subtotals? The requirement is better explained with this sample of source data.

Name Score
Eve 8
Ann 6
Tom 9
Dave 7
Tom 4
Ann 2

I want to build a 3rd worksheet which will immediately and automatically display this data sorted by name, (so I'm sorting on column A rather than B) but with with subtotals for each name. (again without the user needing to click on any column heading or subtotal function). Ideally with a means to include either only subtotals, or detail rows with subtotal.

(sorted by name with detail rows and subtotals)

Name Score
Ann 6
Ann 2
Subtotal for Ann: 8
Dave 7
Subtotal for Dave: 7
Eve 8
Subtotal for Eve: 8
Tom 9
Tom 4
Subtotal for Tom: 13

(sorted by name with subtotals only)

Name Total Score
Ann 8
Dave 7
Eve 8
Tom 13

Upvote 0
I suspect what you're now asking for is possible, but (other than a pivot table) I can't suggest anything useful as formulas are not really my area. Hopefully someone else on the forum can come forward with a solution :)

Upvote 0
How about
Fluff.xlsm
ABCDEFGH
2Eve8Ann6Ann8
3Ann6Ann2Dave7
4Tom9Subtotal for Ann8Eve8
5Dave7Dave7Tom13
6Tom4Subtotal for Dave7
7Ann2Eve8
8Subtotal for Eve8
9Tom9
10Tom4
11Subtotal for Tom13
Sheet5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2:E11D2=LET(f,SORT(FILTER(A2:B100,A2:A100<>"")),u,UNIQUE(INDEX(f,,1)),SORTBY(VSTACK(f,HSTACK("Subtotal for " & u,SUMIFS(B:B,A:A,u))),VSTACK(SEQUENCE(ROWS(f)),XMATCH(u,INDEX(f,,1),0,-1)+0.5)))
G2:H5G2=LET(u,UNIQUE(FILTER(A2:A100,A2:A100<>"")),SORT(HSTACK(u,SUMIFS(B:B,A:A,u))))
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Thank you Fluff - great stuff. These (and Kevin's) formulae will serve me well - I'll spend some time getting my head around the syntax.

Just one more question - might be pushing it - but can charts (bar, pie etc.) be configured and triggered from within a formula?

Upvote 0
I know nothing about charts, so cannot help with that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back