Match/Countif/Lookup Not Identifying Matching Text

DavidGM

Hi,

I'm trying to do a systematic literature review, and reviewing article titles from several different databases. Therefore I'm trying to find a formula that identifies if there is a matching title, from a column of titles extracted from one database, to a column of titles extracted from another; to save me reviewing the same article multiple times.

I've tried a Countifs, Match, or VLOOKUP and it's not matching all titles, even when visually they are the same and I've removed all punctuation. Remove duplicates removes some, but not all. I can't see from any online searches where it's going wrong, hoping yourselves can help please!

I've posted an example below and highlighted a case that matches but I've not been able to match via a formula or through remove duplicates. Both columns are formatted as general.

Coping^J Suicide^J Adolescent.xlsx
ABC
1Database 1 TitlesMatch?Database 2 Titles
2daily patterns in nonsuicidal self injury and coping among recently hospitalized youth at risk for suicideTRUEhow to cope with perfectionism? perfectionism as a risk factor for suicidality and the role of cognitive coping in adolescents
3mental health problems and needs among transitional age youth in indonesiaFALSEdaily patterns in nonsuicidal self injury and coping among recently hospitalized youth at risk for suicide
4influence of coping strategies on the efficacy of yam youth aware of mental health a universal school based suicide preventive programFALSEcause of caregiver death and surviving caregiver coping style predict thwarted belongingness in bereaved youth
5coping social support and suicide attempts among homeless adolescentsFALSEcoping with suicidal urges among youth seen in a psychiatric emergency department
6the relationship between religious orientation coping strategies and suicidal behaviourFALSEhow school counselors cope with student suicide a qualitative study
7perceptions of lgbq+ youth and experts of suicide prevention video messages targeting lgbq+ youth qualitative studyFALSEfacteurs de protection reliés au risque suicidaire chez des adolescents comparaison de jeunes du milieu scolaire et de jeunes en centres jeunesse
8it's not okay for you to call me that how sexual and gender minority youth cope with bullying victimizationFALSEcoping social support and suicide attempts among homeless adolescents
9cause of caregiver death and surviving caregiver coping style predict thwarted belongingness in bereaved youthTRUErunning to stand still trauma symptoms coping strategies and substance use behaviors in unaccompanied migrant youth
10how do adolescents with adjustment disorder cope with stressful situations? relationship with suicidal riskFALSEan examination of help seeking attitudes and behaviors among asian american youth on multiple school campuses
11a pilot evaluation of culture camps to increase alaska native youth wellnessFALSEimpulsivity kills some who did not plan to die by suicide evidence from chinese rural youths
12is religiosity related to suicidal ideation among tunisian muslim youth after the january 14th revolution?FALSEin plain sight the public secrets of teenage cutting
13why alternative teenagers self harm exploring the link between non suicidal self injury attempted suicide and adolescent identityFALSEestilos de afrontamiento como predicadores del riesgo suicida en estudiantes adolescentes
14coping with suicidal urges among youth seen in a psychiatric emergency departmentTRUEteenagers' attitudes about coping strategies and help seeking behavior for suicidality
15african american adolescent suicidal ideation and behavior the role of racism and preventionFALSEstrategies employed by sexual minority adolescents to cope with minority stress
16teenagers' attitudes about coping strategies and help seeking behavior for suicidalityTRUEchildhood sexual abuse and current suicidal ideation among adolescents problem focused and emotion focused coping skills
17risk and protective factors for suicide among guyanese youth youth and stakeholder perspectivesFALSEdysregulation catastrophic reactions and the anxiety disorders
18cohort profile the youth and mental health study yamhs a longitudinal study of the period from adolescence to adulthoodFALSEbullying victimization bullying witnessing bullying perpetration and suicide risk among adolescents a serial mediation analysis
19exploring presentation differences in multi cultural youth seeking assistance for mental health problemsFALSEnon suicidal self injury among male adjudicated adolescents psychosocial concerns coping responses diagnoses and functions
20how many times did i not want to live a life because of him the complex connections between child sexual abuse disclosure and self injurious thoughts and behaviorsFALSEassociations between depression anxiety stress hopelessness subjective well being coping styles and suicide in chinese university students
Sheet7
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B20B2=ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,C:C,0))

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
i dont get it.
in B you actually found everything that matches.
by the way how this formula is created every "TRUE" tells you that this corresponding row from A1 to A20 exists in column C.
Every FALSE means its not in column C at all.

Maybe that's what ur looking for?
Book3
ABCD
1Database 1 TitlesMatch?Database 2 Titles
2daily patterns in nonsuicidal self injury and coping among recently hospitalized youth at risk for suicideTRUEArticle does not exists in column Ahow to cope with perfectionism? perfectionism as a risk factor for suicidality and the role of cognitive coping in adolescents
3mental health problems and needs among transitional age youth in indonesiaFALSETitle from Cell: D3 Does exists in: A2daily patterns in nonsuicidal self injury and coping among recently hospitalized youth at risk for suicide
4influence of coping strategies on the efficacy of yam youth aware of mental health a universal school based suicide preventive programFALSETitle from Cell: D4 Does exists in: A9cause of caregiver death and surviving caregiver coping style predict thwarted belongingness in bereaved youth
5coping social support and suicide attempts among homeless adolescentsTRUETitle from Cell: D5 Does exists in: A14coping with suicidal urges among youth seen in a psychiatric emergency department
6the relationship between religious orientation coping strategies and suicidal behaviourFALSEArticle does not exists in column Ahow school counselors cope with student suicide a qualitative study
7perceptions of lgbq+ youth and experts of suicide prevention video messages targeting lgbq+ youth qualitative studyFALSEArticle does not exists in column Afacteurs de protection reliés au risque suicidaire chez des adolescents comparaison de jeunes du milieu scolaire et de jeunes en centres jeunesse
8it's not okay for you to call me that how sexual and gender minority youth cope with bullying victimizationFALSETitle from Cell: D8 Does exists in: A5coping social support and suicide attempts among homeless adolescents
9cause of caregiver death and surviving caregiver coping style predict thwarted belongingness in bereaved youthTRUEArticle does not exists in column Arunning to stand still trauma symptoms coping strategies and substance use behaviors in unaccompanied migrant youth
10how do adolescents with adjustment disorder cope with stressful situations? relationship with suicidal riskFALSEArticle does not exists in column Aan examination of help seeking attitudes and behaviors among asian american youth on multiple school campuses
11a pilot evaluation of culture camps to increase alaska native youth wellnessFALSEArticle does not exists in column Aimpulsivity kills some who did not plan to die by suicide evidence from chinese rural youths
12is religiosity related to suicidal ideation among tunisian muslim youth after the january 14th revolution?FALSEArticle does not exists in column Ain plain sight the public secrets of teenage cutting
13why alternative teenagers self harm exploring the link between non suicidal self injury attempted suicide and adolescent identityFALSEArticle does not exists in column Aestilos de afrontamiento como predicadores del riesgo suicida en estudiantes adolescentes
14coping with suicidal urges among youth seen in a psychiatric emergency departmentTRUETitle from Cell: D14 Does exists in: A16teenagers' attitudes about coping strategies and help seeking behavior for suicidality
15african american adolescent suicidal ideation and behavior the role of racism and preventionFALSEArticle does not exists in column Astrategies employed by sexual minority adolescents to cope with minority stress
16teenagers' attitudes about coping strategies and help seeking behavior for suicidalityTRUEArticle does not exists in column Achildhood sexual abuse and current suicidal ideation among adolescents problem focused and emotion focused coping skills
17risk and protective factors for suicide among guyanese youth youth and stakeholder perspectivesFALSEArticle does not exists in column Adysregulation catastrophic reactions and the anxiety disorders
18cohort profile the youth and mental health study yamhs a longitudinal study of the period from adolescence to adulthoodFALSEArticle does not exists in column Abullying victimization bullying witnessing bullying perpetration and suicide risk among adolescents a serial mediation analysis
19exploring presentation differences in multi cultural youth seeking assistance for mental health problemsFALSEArticle does not exists in column Anon suicidal self injury among male adjudicated adolescents psychosocial concerns coping responses diagnoses and functions
20how many times did i not want to live a life because of him the complex connections between child sexual abuse disclosure and self injurious thoughts and behaviorsFALSEArticle does not exists in column Aassociations between depression anxiety stress hopelessness subjective well being coping styles and suicide in chinese university students
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B20B2=ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,D:D,0))
C2C2=IFERROR("Title from Cell: "&ADDRESS(ROW(D2),COLUMN(D2),4,1)&"Does exists in: "&MATCH(D2,A:A,0),"Article does not exists in column A")
C3:C20C3=IFERROR("Title from Cell: "&ADDRESS(ROW(D3),COLUMN(D3),4,1)&" Does exists in: "&ADDRESS(MATCH(D3,A:A,0),1,4,1),"Article does not exists in column A")
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
A1:A20Expression="ISNUMBER(MATCH($A2;$C:$C;0))"textNO

Upvote 0
Hi DavidGM,

As Radoslaw pointed out there is a match for both highlit cells. Would this approach be easier?

DavidGM.xlsx
ABCD
1Match DB1 to DB 2Database 1 TitlesMatch DB2 to DB 1Database 2 Titles
23daily patterns in nonsuicidal self injury and coping among recently hospitalized youth at risk for suicideNo match->how to cope with perfectionism? perfectionism as a risk factor for suicidality and the role of cognitive coping in adolescents
3No match->mental health problems and needs among transitional age youth in indonesia2daily patterns in nonsuicidal self injury and coping among recently hospitalized youth at risk for suicide
4No match->influence of coping strategies on the efficacy of yam youth aware of mental health a universal school based suicide preventive program9cause of caregiver death and surviving caregiver coping style predict thwarted belongingness in bereaved youth
58coping social support and suicide attempts among homeless adolescents14coping with suicidal urges among youth seen in a psychiatric emergency department
6No match->the relationship between religious orientation coping strategies and suicidal behaviourNo match->how school counselors cope with student suicide a qualitative study
7No match->perceptions of lgbq+ youth and experts of suicide prevention video messages targeting lgbq+ youth qualitative studyNo match->facteurs de protection reliés au risque suicidaire chez des adolescents comparaison de jeunes du milieu scolaire et de jeunes en centres jeunesse
8No match->it's not okay for you to call me that how sexual and gender minority youth cope with bullying victimization5coping social support and suicide attempts among homeless adolescents
94cause of caregiver death and surviving caregiver coping style predict thwarted belongingness in bereaved youthNo match->running to stand still trauma symptoms coping strategies and substance use behaviors in unaccompanied migrant youth
10No match->how do adolescents with adjustment disorder cope with stressful situations? relationship with suicidal riskNo match->an examination of help seeking attitudes and behaviors among asian american youth on multiple school campuses
11No match->a pilot evaluation of culture camps to increase alaska native youth wellnessNo match->impulsivity kills some who did not plan to die by suicide evidence from chinese rural youths
12No match->is religiosity related to suicidal ideation among tunisian muslim youth after the january 14th revolution?No match->in plain sight the public secrets of teenage cutting
13No match->why alternative teenagers self harm exploring the link between non suicidal self injury attempted suicide and adolescent identityNo match->estilos de afrontamiento como predicadores del riesgo suicida en estudiantes adolescentes
145coping with suicidal urges among youth seen in a psychiatric emergency department16teenagers' attitudes about coping strategies and help seeking behavior for suicidality
15No match->african american adolescent suicidal ideation and behavior the role of racism and preventionNo match->strategies employed by sexual minority adolescents to cope with minority stress
1614teenagers' attitudes about coping strategies and help seeking behavior for suicidalityNo match->childhood sexual abuse and current suicidal ideation among adolescents problem focused and emotion focused coping skills
17No match->risk and protective factors for suicide among guyanese youth youth and stakeholder perspectivesNo match->dysregulation catastrophic reactions and the anxiety disorders
18No match->cohort profile the youth and mental health study yamhs a longitudinal study of the period from adolescence to adulthoodNo match->bullying victimization bullying witnessing bullying perpetration and suicide risk among adolescents a serial mediation analysis
19No match->exploring presentation differences in multi cultural youth seeking assistance for mental health problemsNo match->non suicidal self injury among male adjudicated adolescents psychosocial concerns coping responses diagnoses and functions
20No match->how many times did i not want to live a life because of him the complex connections between child sexual abuse disclosure and self injurious thoughts and behaviorsNo match->associations between depression anxiety stress hopelessness subjective well being coping styles and suicide in chinese university students
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2:A20A2=IF(ISNA(MATCH(B2,D:D,0)),"No match->",MATCH(B2,D:D,0))
C2:C20C2=IF(ISNA(MATCH(D2,B:B,0)),"No match->",MATCH(D2,B:B,0))

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks so much for the help from both of you.

I'm confused regarding the difference between your match formulas and my match formula, as the core of the formula is the same between them. Yet, my match formula isn't matching the highlighted article, and nor can I match the highlighted article when I copy your formula into a spreadsheet.

I'm not sure why my B5 is not matching in a spreadsheet or on MrExcel, yet Radalow's and Toadstool's is matching on MrExcel, but not matching when I apply it to a spreadsheet?

Curious as to whether my B5 formula is also not matching as yourselves see it, and whether there's something with my Excel set up...?

Upvote 0
Interesting that it does sound like it's an anomaly, rather than anything formula based.

I've tried it within 2 different computers, turned off and on and in different spreadsheets, and it's not resolved it. I'll look up how to clear temp data.

Upvote 0
If you copy the mini sheet from either post#2 or post#3 using the copy icon & than paste it into a blank sheet, do the formulae work?

Upvote 0
Great idea, just tried that. So if I copy the mini sheet from post #2 or #3 into a blank sheet the formulae work... Until I copy and paste in the full list of articles (around 1000 rows) into it. Regardless of whether it's added to a blank workbook or existing workbook. This also doesn't produce a match even when only one list of articles from a database is copied across to the formulae from the mini sheet: the same article turned from a match to not a match as I did it.

I've saved part of a screenshot below just to prove I'm not hallucinating. As you can see, A5's formula is unchanged but not producing a match of B5 to C8. It's the same for Radoslaw's formula.

Attachments

• Excel.png
    Excel.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0
In that case I suspect that you have got some hidden characters in the data that get stripped out when you post it as a minisheet.
Is the data copied form a web site?

Upvote 0
Solution
The data is from a website, but exported as an XML (that the website sends). I then applied a formula from Exceljet (below) to remove any formatting (although it wasn't matching appropriately before this formula was applied). It also doesn't match if I paste it into a notebook or anything and then copy and paste it back into Excel.

But, If I manually type out "coping social support and suicide attempts among homeless adolescents" in B5, it then matches with D8, even if I don't manually type D8.

Is there any way around the hidden characters or this issue that you are aware of? As manually re-typing or searching any duplicated titles will be laborious across 2000 further rows

=LOWER(TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(K2,"("," "),")"," "),"-"," "),":"," "),";"," "),"!"," "),","," "),"."," ")))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back