Match Data from two separate excel sheets (same excel workbook).

UTSRP

Help!! I have one excel workbook with two separate sheets. Sheet 1 has a list of names (Last name in column A, First name in column B). Sheet 2 has a list of names (Last name in column A, Middle name in Column B, First name in column C, EID in column D, and a Username in column E). I need to match the EID and Username from Sheet 2 to the names on Sheet 1 so I can batch upload my information to our system. I need to do this by their names. How can I get this done?

Thanks,

Robert

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hi Robert, if you're looking for a formula, INDEX-MATCH is great for this. This is a two step process, though, make sure you follow these instructions exactly.

First, put this formula in cell C2 on Sheet1 (assuming that is the row you are starting at):

=INDEX(Sheet2!D:D,MATCH(A2&B2,Sheet2!A:A&Sheet2!C:C,0))

IMPORTANT: Do NOT press Enter!! You need to press Ctrl + Shift + Enter. This will put some curly braces "{ }"around the formula.
IMPORTANT: Do NOT put the curly braces in yourself, you need to let Excel do that for you.

Then drag the formula down like you would any other formula. For the Username, use the exact same process with this formula:

=INDEX(Sheet2!E:E,MATCH(A2&B2,Sheet2!A:A&Sheet2!C:C,0))

See if this helps. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back