Match Mentors to Mentees using the survey data responses

Shrooti

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have basic knowledge of MS Excel Formulae and have been trying to automate a survey results file to match Mentors to the best suitable Mentees based on the below criteria:
- gender preference. this survey is for only women mentees, so they can choose a female or a male mentor
- business unit preference
- number of mentees a mentor can take up
- the professional skills mentee is keen on getting mentorship for
- the leadership skills a mentee wants mentorship for

Below are the dummy details of the survey data collected for mentors and mentees respectively:
MENTORS ---
Full NameEmail IDGenderBusiness UnitArea of ExpertiseRegionTime ZoneHow many mentees you want to mentor?What are the Professional Skills you have?

What are the Leadership Skills you have?
Joe Smithabc@gmail.comMaleCustomer ServiceSalesNorth America
EST (Eastern Standard Time)
2Consumer ExperienceBusiness self-awareness
Mary Brownmary.b@rediff.comFemaleMarketing AnalyticsData AnalysisEurope
GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)
1Influence and EngagementCollaboration
Rohit Arwala
rarwala@yahoo.comMaleFinancial ServicesAccountingAsia Pacific
IST (India Standard Time)
2Creativity/Cognitive FlexibilityAdaptability and Agility

MENTEES --

Full NameEmail IDGender PreferenceBusiness UnitArea of ExpertiseRegionTime ZoneWhat are the Professional Skills you want to be mentored on?

What are the Leadership Skills you want to be mentored on?
Bree Larsxyz@gmail.comNo preferenceCustomer ServiceSalesNorth America
EST (Eastern Standard Time)
Consumer ExperienceBusiness self-awareness
Marcelle Whitepqr@rediff.comYes, only femaleMarketing AnalyticsData AnalysisEurope
GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)
Influence and EngagementCollaboration
Priti Khandelwalabz@yahoo.comYes, only femaleFinancial ServicesAccountingAsia Pacific
IST (India Standard Time)
Creativity/Cognitive FlexibilityAdaptability and Agility

This is just a dummy data. However, the actual data is going to exceed approximately 500 entries or more, each for the mentors and for mentees. I'm looking for a formulae where by just pasting the data for mentors and mentees, i would have the best matched mentees across each mentor. Would appreciate your help in providing a formula.

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Hi Shrooti,

I'm sure there's a better 365 solution but here's my Excel 2016 approach.

Shrooti.xlsx
ABCDEFGHI
1Full NameEmail IDGender PreferenceBusiness UnitArea of ExpertiseRegionTime ZoneWhat are the Professional Skills you want to be mentored on?What are the Leadership Skills you want to be mentored on?
2Bree Larsxyz@gmail.comNo preferenceCustomer ServiceSalesNorth AmericaEST (Eastern Standard Time)Consumer ExperienceBusiness self-awareness
3Marcelle Whitepqr@rediff.comYes, only femaleMarketing AnalyticsData AnalysisEuropeGMT (Greenwich Mean Time)Influence and EngagementCollaboration
4Priti Khandelwalabz@yahoo.comYes, only femaleFinancial ServicesAccountingAsia PacificIST (India Standard Time)Creativity/Cognitive FlexibilityAdaptability and Agility
Mentees

Shrooti.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ
1Full NameEmail IDGenderBusiness UnitArea of ExpertiseRegionTime ZoneHow many mentees you want to mentor?What are the Professional Skills you have?What are the Leadership Skills you have?
2Joe Smithabc@gmail.comMaleCustomer ServiceSalesNorth AmericaEST (Eastern Standard Time)2Consumer ExperienceBusiness self-awarenessBree Lars      
3Mary Brownmary.b@rediff.comFemaleMarketing AnalyticsData AnalysisEuropeGMT (Greenwich Mean Time)1Influence and EngagementCollaborationMarcelle White      
4Rohit Arwalararwala@yahoo.comMaleFinancial ServicesAccountingAsia PacificIST (India Standard Time)2Creativity/Cognitive FlexibilityAdaptability and Agility       
Mentors
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
K2:Q5K2=IF(COLUMN()-COLUMN($J$1)>$H2,"",IFERROR(INDEX(Mentees!$A$2:$A$9999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Mentees!$A$2:$A$9999)-ROW(Mentees!$A$1)/((IF(Mentees!$C$2:$C$9999="Yes, only female",$C2="Female",TRUE))*(Mentees!$D$2:$D$9999=$D2)*(Mentees!$H$2:$H$9999=$I2)*(Mentees!$I$2:$I$9999=$J2)),COLUMN()-COLUMN($J$1))),""))

Upvote 0
Hi Shrooti,

I'm sure there's a better 365 solution but here's my Excel 2016 approach.

Shrooti.xlsx
ABCDEFGHI
1Full NameEmail IDGender PreferenceBusiness UnitArea of ExpertiseRegionTime ZoneWhat are the Professional Skills you want to be mentored on?What are the Leadership Skills you want to be mentored on?
2Bree Larsxyz@gmail.comNo preferenceCustomer ServiceSalesNorth AmericaEST (Eastern Standard Time)Consumer ExperienceBusiness self-awareness
3Marcelle Whitepqr@rediff.comYes, only femaleMarketing AnalyticsData AnalysisEuropeGMT (Greenwich Mean Time)Influence and EngagementCollaboration
4Priti Khandelwalabz@yahoo.comYes, only femaleFinancial ServicesAccountingAsia PacificIST (India Standard Time)Creativity/Cognitive FlexibilityAdaptability and Agility
Mentees

Shrooti.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ
1Full NameEmail IDGenderBusiness UnitArea of ExpertiseRegionTime ZoneHow many mentees you want to mentor?What are the Professional Skills you have?What are the Leadership Skills you have?
2Joe Smithabc@gmail.comMaleCustomer ServiceSalesNorth AmericaEST (Eastern Standard Time)2Consumer ExperienceBusiness self-awarenessBree Lars      
3Mary Brownmary.b@rediff.comFemaleMarketing AnalyticsData AnalysisEuropeGMT (Greenwich Mean Time)1Influence and EngagementCollaborationMarcelle White      
4Rohit Arwalararwala@yahoo.comMaleFinancial ServicesAccountingAsia PacificIST (India Standard Time)2Creativity/Cognitive FlexibilityAdaptability and Agility       
Mentors
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
K2:Q5K2=IF(COLUMN()-COLUMN($J$1)>$H2,"",IFERROR(INDEX(Mentees!$A$2:$A$9999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Mentees!$A$2:$A$9999)-ROW(Mentees!$A$1)/((IF(Mentees!$C$2:$C$9999="Yes, only female",$C2="Female",TRUE))*(Mentees!$D$2:$D$9999=$D2)*(Mentees!$H$2:$H$9999=$I2)*(Mentees!$I$2:$I$9999=$J2)),COLUMN()-COLUMN($J$1))),""))
Hi,

Thank you so much for the formula. it did work for the smaller dummy data, but it's not working for the larger set of data.

I'm pasting the larger data for your reference below:
Mentor data:

Formula in the Mentor worksheet, last column:

IF(COLUMN()-COLUMN($L$1)>$I2,"",IFERROR(INDEX(Mentees!$B$2:$B$1048576,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Mentees!$B$2:$B$1048576)-ROW(Mentees!$B2)/((IF(Mentees!$H$2:$H$1048576="Female",$D2="Female",TRUE))*(Mentees!$D$2:$D$1048576=$E2)*(Mentees!$I$2:$I$1048576=$J2)*(Mentees!$J$2:$J$1048576=$K2)*(Mentees!$K$2:$K$1048576=$L2)),COLUMN()-COLUMN($L$1))),""))

EIDMentorEmail IDGenderBusiness UnitRegionTime ZoneBU PreferenceHow many mentees you want to mentor?Lived ExperienceWhat are the Professional Skills you have?What are the Leadership Skills you have?
E111111Joe Smithjoesmith@email.comMaleData and ServicesAPIST (India Standard Time)No2Work/life integrationBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness
E222222Mary Brownmarybrown@gmail.comFemaleCyber and Intelligence SolutionsNAMEST (Eastern Standard Time)No2LGBTQConsumer ExperienceBuilding self-awareness
E333333Rohit Arwalarohit@email.comMaleOperations and TechnologyEURGMT (Greenwich Mean Time)Yes1Parenting or caregivingBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness
E444444Blaine Bluebb@gmail.comMaleNorth AmericaNAMEST (Eastern Standard Time)No1RelocationBusiness AcumenProviding consistent feedback and coaching
E555555Maria Marnamaria@email.comFemaleInternational MarketsLACCST (Central Standard Time)Yes1RelocationInfluence & EngagementBuilding self-awareness
E666666Anna Kinganna@email.comFemaleProduct & EngineeringEURGMT (Greenwich Mean Time)No1Work/life integrationBusiness AcumenAdaptability and flexibility/agility
E777777John Martinjohn@email.comMaleInternational MarketsMEAMET (Middle East Time)No2EntrepreneurshipBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness
E088888Myrna Lebowitzmyrna@email.comFemaleData and ServicesEUREET (Eastern European Time)Yes1Work/life integrationInfluence & EngagementEmbracing and leading change

Mentee Data:

EIDFull NameEmail IDBusiness UnitRegionTime ZoneBU PreferenceGender PreferenceLived ExperienceWhat are the Professional Skills you want to be mentored on?What are the Leadership Skills you want to be mentored on?
E123456Jenna Brownjb@gmail.comStrategic GrowthAPCST (Central Standard Time)YesNo preferenceWork/life integrationBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness
E098765Courtney Athinaca@email.comLaw, Franchise, and IntegrityNAMGMT (Greenwich Mean Time)YesFemaleParenting or caregivingInfluence & EngagementBuilding self-awareness
E456456Anna Choac@email.comOperations and TechnologyEURIST (India Standard Time)YesNo preferenceIntersectionalityBusiness AcumenCollaboration
E124567Bree Larsbl@gmail.comInternational MarketsNAMAGT (Argentina Standard Time)NoMaleWork/life integrationBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness
E782310Monika Whitemo@email.comCyber and Intelligence SolutionsLACEAT (Eastern African Time)NoMaleRelocationBusiness AcumenThoughtful risk taking
E898920Jennifer Reigeljr@gmail.comData and ServicesEUREST (Eastern Standard Time)NoFemaleDifferent abilitiesComplex Problem SolvingEmbracing and leading change
E674820Priti Khanalpritik@email.comCyber and Intelligence SolutionsMEAEST (Eastern Standard Time)NoNo preferenceWork/life integrationBusiness AcumenProviding consistent feedback and coaching
E020301Jennie Torresjt@email.comInternational MarketsEURBET (Brazil Eastern Time)YesFemaleDifferent abilitiesCreativity/Cognitive FlexibilityProviding consistent feedback and coaching

Appreciate your help.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thank you so much for the formula. it did work for the smaller dummy data, but it's not working for the larger set of data.

I'm pasting the larger data for your reference below:
Mentor data:

Formula in the Mentor worksheet, last column:

IF(COLUMN()-COLUMN($L$1)>$I2,"",IFERROR(INDEX(Mentees!$B$2:$B$1048576,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Mentees!$B$2:$B$1048576)-ROW(Mentees!$B2)/((IF(Mentees!$H$2:$H$1048576="Female",$D2="Female",TRUE))*(Mentees!$D$2:$D$1048576=$E2)*(Mentees!$I$2:$I$1048576=$J2)*(Mentees!$J$2:$J$1048576=$K2)*(Mentees!$K$2:$K$1048576=$L2)),COLUMN()-COLUMN($L$1))),""))

EIDMentorEmail IDGenderBusiness UnitRegionTime ZoneBusiness Unit PreferenceHow many mentees you want to mentor?Lived ExperienceWhat are the Professional Skills you have?What are the Leadership Skills you have?
E111111Joe Smithjoesmith@email.comMaleData and ServicesAPIST (India Standard Time)No2Work/life integrationBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness
E222222Mary Brownmarybrown@gmail.comFemaleCyber and Intelligence SolutionsNAMEST (Eastern Standard Time)No2LGBTQConsumer ExperienceBuilding self-awareness
E333333Rohit Arwalarohit@email.comMaleOperations and TechnologyEURGMT (Greenwich Mean Time)Yes1Parenting or caregivingBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness
E444444Blaine Bluebb@gmail.comMaleNorth AmericaNAMEST (Eastern Standard Time)No1RelocationBusiness AcumenProviding consistent feedback and coaching
E555555Maria Marnamaria@email.comFemaleInternational MarketsLACCST (Central Standard Time)Yes1RelocationInfluence & EngagementBuilding self-awareness
E666666Anna Kinganna@email.comFemaleProduct & EngineeringEURGMT (Greenwich Mean Time)No1Work/life integrationBusiness AcumenAdaptability and flexibility/agility
E777777John Martinjohn@email.comMaleInternational MarketsMEAMET (Middle East Time)No2EntrepreneurshipBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness
E088888Myrna Lebowitzmyrna@email.comFemaleData and ServicesEUREET (Eastern European Time)Yes1Work/life integrationInfluence & EngagementEmbracing and leading change

Mentee Data:

EIDFull NameEmail IDBusiness UnitRegionTime ZoneBusiness Unit PreferenceGender PreferenceLived ExperienceWhat are the Professional Skills you want to be mentored on?What are the Leadership Skills you want to be mentored on?
E123456Jenna Brownjb@gmail.comStrategic GrowthAPCST (Central Standard Time)YesNo preferenceWork/life integrationBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness
E098765Courtney Athinaca@email.comLaw, Franchise, and IntegrityNAMGMT (Greenwich Mean Time)YesFemaleParenting or caregivingInfluence & EngagementBuilding self-awareness
E456456Anna Choac@email.comOperations and TechnologyEURIST (India Standard Time)YesNo preferenceIntersectionalityBusiness AcumenCollaboration
E124567Bree Larsbl@gmail.comInternational MarketsNAMAGT (Argentina Standard Time)NoMaleWork/life integrationBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness
E782310Monika Whitemo@email.comCyber and Intelligence SolutionsLACEAT (Eastern African Time)NoMaleRelocationBusiness AcumenThoughtful risk taking
E898920Jennifer Reigeljr@gmail.comData and ServicesEUREST (Eastern Standard Time)NoFemaleDifferent abilitiesComplex Problem SolvingEmbracing and leading change
E674820Priti Khanalpritik@email.comCyber and Intelligence SolutionsMEAEST (Eastern Standard Time)NoNo preferenceWork/life integrationBusiness AcumenProviding consistent feedback and coaching
E020301Jennie Torresjt@email.comInternational MarketsEURBET (Brazil Eastern Time)YesFemaleDifferent abilitiesCreativity/Cognitive FlexibilityProviding consistent feedback and coaching

Appreciate your help.

Upvote 0
Comments:

ROWS: I would strongly advise against using all rows, and can't believe you have 1 million employees, so something like 9999 or even 99999 instead of 1048576 should be used.

HEADING: This needs to be anchored to the row above the first data row to get the correct INDEX so should be Mentees!$B$1

Lived Experience: I see you have added that Lived Experience must match between Mentor and Mentee. This invalidated the only match using previous checks where John Martin could mentor Bree Lars, but now their Lived Experience don't match.

Business Unit: I note you've retained the Business Unit check but not checked the new "BU Preference" column. Please confirm you would like the check to only occur if either Mentor or Mentee have BU Preference = "Yes"?

Upvote 0
Comments:

ROWS: I would strongly advise against using all rows, and can't believe you have 1 million employees, so something like 9999 or even 99999 instead of 1048576 should be used.

HEADING: This needs to be anchored to the row above the first data row to get the correct INDEX so should be Mentees!$B$1

Lived Experience: I see you have added that Lived Experience must match between Mentor and Mentee. This invalidated the only match using previous checks where John Martin could mentor Bree Lars, but now their Lived Experience don't match.

Business Unit: I note you've retained the Business Unit check but not checked the new "BU Preference" column. Please confirm you would like the check to only occur if either Mentor or Mentee have BU Preference = "Yes"?

Thank you for reviewing the data again.

Please find my response below in purple below
Sure. I'll make this change

HEADING
: This needs to be anchored to the row above the first data row to get the correct INDEX so should be Mentees!$B$1
Sure. I'll make this change

Lived Experience:
I see you have added that Lived Experience must match between Mentor and Mentee. This invalidated the only match using previous checks where John Martin could mentor Bree Lars, but now their Lived Experience don't match.
The main criteria is to choose the best match for the mentee based on the lived experience and other skills as well.

Business Unit
: I note you've retained the Business Unit check but not checked the new "BU Preference" column. Please confirm you would like the check to only occur if either Mentor or Mentee have BU Preference = "Yes"?
Yes, the matching criteria will first be 'gender preference' followed by 'business unit preference' and then, the skills (lived experience, leadership skills, professional skills). Also, the region to which they below can be one of the matching criteria so that they share the same time zone if possible.

I've also uploaded the file on Google Sheets, if that helps better.
Google Sheets - create and edit spreadsheets online, for free.

Thanks for all your help. :)

Upvote 0
Your Google Sheets file is private. You need to make it shareable for anybody with the link.

I note "Also, the region to which they below can be one of the matching criteria so that they share the same time zone if possible." so that could be added but the "if possible" is concerning as there is no subtlety to the checks; they either match or don't match. I would suggest you leave this out unless your results show many matches, in which case you could add further columns to limit by time zone.

Upvote 0
Your Google Sheets file is private. You need to make it shareable for anybody with the link.

I note "Also, the region to which they below can be one of the matching criteria so that they share the same time zone if possible." so that could be added but the "if possible" is concerning as there is no subtlety to the checks; they either match or don't match. I would suggest you leave this out unless your results show many matches, in which case you could add further columns to limit by time zone.
Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. I'll try the formula at my end and get back in case I'm stuck.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I tried updating the formula by including the 'Business Unit Preference' factor along with the 'Gender Preference'. However, I seem to miss out on something and not able to return any results for the formula. The priority matching criteria can be considered as below:
- Gender Preference
- Business Unit Preference
- Any of one Skill set match (lived experience or professional skills or leadership skills)

Appreciate your help.

Below is the formula I'm using:
Mentor-Mentee Matching - Test1.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLM
1EIDMentorEmail IDGenderBusiness UnitRegionTime ZoneBusiness Unit PreferenceNumber of mentees to mentorLived ExperienceProfessional SkillsLeadership SkillsMentee Match
2E111111Joe Smithjoesmith@email.comMaleData and ServicesAPIST (India Standard Time)No2Work/life integrationBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness 
3E222222Mary Brownmarybrown@gmail.comFemaleCyber and Intelligence SolutionsNAMEST (Eastern Standard Time)No2LGBTQConsumer ExperienceBuilding self-awareness 
4E333333Rohit Arwalarohit@email.comMaleOperations and TechnologyEURGMT (Greenwich Mean Time)Yes1Parenting or caregivingBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness 
5E444444Blaine Bluebb@gmail.comMaleNorth AmericaNAMEST (Eastern Standard Time)No1RelocationBusiness AcumenProviding consistent feedback and coaching 
6E555555Maria Marnamaria@email.comFemaleInternational MarketsLACCST (Central Standard Time)Yes1RelocationInfluence & EngagementBuilding self-awareness 
7E666666Anna Kinganna@email.comFemaleProduct & EngineeringEURGMT (Greenwich Mean Time)No1Work/life integrationBusiness AcumenAdaptability and flexibility/agility 
8E777777John Martinjohn@email.comMaleInternational MarketsMEAMET (Middle East Time)No2EntrepreneurshipBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness 
9E088888Myrna Lebowitzmyrna@email.comFemaleData and ServicesEUREET (Eastern European Time)Yes1Work/life integrationInfluence & EngagementEmbracing and leading change 
Mentors2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
M2:M9M2=IF(COLUMN()-COLUMN($L$1)>$I2,"",IFERROR(INDEX(Mentees2!$B$2:$B$9999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Mentees2!$B$2:$B$9999)-ROW(Mentees2!$B$1)/((IF(Mentees2!$H$2:$H$9999="Female",$D2="Female",TRUE))*(IF(Mentees2!$G$2:$G$9999=$H2,TRUE))*(Mentees2!$D$2:$D$9999=$E2)*(Mentees2!$I$2:$I$9999=$J2)*(Mentees2!$J$2:$J$9999=$K2)*(Mentees2!$K$2:$K$9999=$L2)),COLUMN()-COLUMN($L$1))),""))

Mentor-Mentee Matching - Test1.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJK
1EIDFull NameEmail IDDepartmentRegionTime ZoneDepartment PreferenceGender PreferenceExperienceProfessional SkillsLeadership Skills
2E123456Jenna Brownjb@gmail.comStrategic GrowthAPCST (Central Standard Time)YesNo preferenceWork/life integrationBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness
3E098765Courtney Athinaca@email.comLaw, Franchise, and IntegrityNAMGMT (Greenwich Mean Time)YesFemaleParenting or caregivingInfluence & EngagementBuilding self-awareness
4E456456Anna Choac@email.comOperations and TechnologyEURIST (India Standard Time)YesNo preferenceIntersectionalityBusiness AcumenCollaboration
5E124567Bree Larsbl@gmail.comInternational MarketsNAMAGT (Argentina Standard Time)NoMaleWork/life integrationBusiness AcumenBuilding self-awareness
6E782310Monika Whitemo@email.comCyber and Intelligence SolutionsLACEAT (Eastern African Time)NoMaleRelocationBusiness AcumenThoughtful risk taking
7E898920Jennifer Reigeljr@gmail.comData and ServicesEUREST (Eastern Standard Time)NoFemaleDifferent abilitiesComplex Problem SolvingEmbracing and leading change
8E674820Priti Khanalpritik@email.comCyber and Intelligence SolutionsMEAEST (Eastern Standard Time)NoNo preferenceWork/life integrationBusiness AcumenProviding consistent feedback and coaching
9E020301Jennie Torresjt@email.comInternational MarketsEURBET (Brazil Eastern Time)YesFemaleDifferent abilitiesCreativity/Cognitive FlexibilityProviding consistent feedback and coaching
Mentees2

Upvote 0
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Match Mentors to Mentees using the survey data responses
If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back