Match Offset Formula

Budge

Board Regular
Joined
Aug 24, 2002
Messages
75
Hello Friends,
I have a formula
=OFFSET(B2,MATCH(B2,$M$2:$M$1800,0)-1,-1)

where I need to assess whether the value in B2 exists in the range M2 to M1800.
If it does then take the value in A2.

All values are unique.

Thanks people for your assistance

Reagrds

Budge
 

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number

Aladin Akyurek

MrExcel MVP
Joined
Feb 14, 2002
Messages
85,201
On 2002-10-23 18:25, Budge wrote:
Hello Friends,
I have a formula
=OFFSET(B2,MATCH(B2,$M$2:$M$1800,0)-1,-1)

where I need to assess whether the value in B2 exists in the range M2 to M1800.
If it does then take the value in A2.

All values are unique.

Budge,

It looks like you want...

=INDEX($A$2:$A$1800,MATCH(B2,$M$2:$M$1800,0))

Right?
 

Budge

Board Regular
Joined
Aug 24, 2002
Messages
75
Aladin,
Your solution worked but is not returning the values i need.(I will need to explain a litle further a bit later on)Will you be on line in 3 hours??

Thanks Budge
 

Aladin Akyurek

MrExcel MVP
Joined
Feb 14, 2002
Messages
85,201

ADVERTISEMENT

On 2002-10-23 18:51, Budge wrote:
Aladin,
Your solution worked but is not returning the values i need.(I will need to explain a litle further a bit later on)Will you be on line in 3 hours??

Thanks Budge

It's 1:09 AM here... I'll look at the explanation when it's there.

Aladin
 

plettieri

Well-known Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2002
Messages
1,556
Platform
  1. MacOS
Aladin

When i tried our suggestion and that of Travis I got two different responses. The OP asks in part... "If it does then take the value in A2." your response does not seem to give me that result ..(it returns a "0' zero value when there is match) Maybe I tested incorrectly, but i seem to get the desired result using Travis's suggestion.

I am only an interested party, so I appologize for sticking my nose in.


pll
 

Aladin Akyurek

MrExcel MVP
Joined
Feb 14, 2002
Messages
85,201

ADVERTISEMENT

On 2002-10-23 19:16, plettieri wrote:
Aladin

When i tried our suggestion and that of Travis I got two different responses. The OP asks in part... "If it does then take the value in A2." your response does not seem to give me that result ..(it returns a "0' zero value when there is match) Maybe I tested incorrectly, but i seem to get the desired result using Travis's suggestion.

I am only an interested party, so I appologize for sticking my nose in.


pll

Question of interpretation, hence my "It looks like"... Mine was: Retrieve the A-value that is in the same row as the value in M-range that matches B2, the lookup value.

Aladin
 

plettieri

Well-known Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2002
Messages
1,556
Platform
  1. MacOS
Wow...quick replies today


Thanks for yr reply...you are correct......We should wait, i guess, for Budge's reply to clarify her request.

pll
 

Budge

Board Regular
Joined
Aug 24, 2002
Messages
75
Guys,
"I am not a female,I am a male"!!!
Thanks for your interest.
Aladin,you are right except that I need the value of Column A to go into Column J (on the same row as the value matched in Column M)
If I have not explained properly,I will post some sample data.

Thanks again

Budge
 

plettieri

Well-known Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2002
Messages
1,556
Platform
  1. MacOS
oops..


sorry about the "her -- his" issue..

I did not see anything about the "J" column in the first query. I sure Aladin will reply asap

pll
 

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
1,123,329
Messages
5,600,996
Members
414,419
Latest member
JRDunya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Top