MATCH returns #N/A for a range that contains the value

aprill

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I use =MAX(C6:H900)to find the max value in a range. I put that value in K29. Then I try to use =MATCH(K29,C6:H900) to find that value in the range to return the row. MATCH returns #N/A. I checked the type of both K29 and the range and they are both v. If I use =MATCH(K29,K29), a 1 is returned. So MATCH does seem to find the value but as soon as I expand the range, MATCH returns #N/A. I am using Excel Version 16.40. I could really use some help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 9.22.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 9.22.41 PM.png
    161.6 KB · Views: 19
Peter_SSs, AGGREGATE absolutely worked. Thanks. I definitely appreciate the help. Would you help me understand why MATCH didn't work?

Thanks
April

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
@Peter_SSs, AGGREGATE absolutely worked. Thanks.
You're welcome.

can anyone tell me why MATCH would not work?
MATCH returns the position of an item in an array but it can only return a single value, You were looking for a value in a two dimensional array. To locate that item you would need to return a row and a column, that is, two values. A single return cannot do that. So MATCH needs to be looking in a single column or a single row.

Upvote 0
@Peter_SSs,

Thank you so much for that explanation. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

April

Upvote 0
No problem. Glad to help. :)

I am trying to point the aggregate function at a different spreadsheet but I am striking out.

If I use
=AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW('OBS-H'!C6:H2000)/('OBS-H'!C6:H2000=D4),1)
It works great. However, I would like to point to a cell (E4) that contains the name of the worksheet

The formula in E4 is =LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,1/COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&SheetList&"'!C6:H2000"),D4),SheetList)
with Sheetlist being the named range of the worksheets. This function returns the name of the spreadsheet that contains the max value.

But when I point to the cell, the formula returns #NUM!
=AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(INDIRECT("'"&E4&"'!C6:H2000"))/INDIRECT("'"&E4&"'!C6:H2000")=D4,1)

I also tried putting the INDIRECT in front of AGGREGATE and that didn't work either.

Upvote 0
If I use
=AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW('OBS-H'!C6:H2000)/('OBS-H'!C6:H2000=D4),1)
It works great.

But when I point to the cell, the formula returns #NUM!
=AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(INDIRECT("'"&E4&"'!C6:H2000"))/INDIRECT("'"&E4&"'!C6:H2000")=D4,1)
The second formula is simply missing the highlighted parentheses from the first one. :)

=AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(INDIRECT("'"&E4&"'!C6:H2000"))/(INDIRECT("'"&E4&"'!C6:H2000")=D4),1)

Upvote 0
The second formula is simply missing the highlighted parentheses from the first one. :)

=AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(INDIRECT("'"&E4&"'!C6:H2000"))/(INDIRECT("'"&E4&"'!C6:H2000")=D4),1)

Thanks for the catch. I again appreciate your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back