Match specific value then highlight differences (by row)

untitled_1

Hi I'm looking for a bit of help if possible.

I've got two sheets that are a bit similar. Sheet 1 contains a list of cars, with column F containing a concatenation of certain key fields in that particular row (Make-Model-Country).

Sheet 2 contains a similar list of information and again column F contains the same concatenation, however, other details such as the Colour and Year may be different to sheet 1 (see an example below).

SYygR2d.png

I'm looking for something that firstly does an INDEX MATCH type lookup (between the concatenation in sheet 1 to sheet 2) and then highlight any differences it finds in columns D and E (Colour and Year) on sheet 2 (i.e. if it finds the concatenation but there is blue car with the same concatenation in sheet 1 highlight the new colour in blue). I only want the cells that are different on sheet 2 (to sheet 1) to be highlighted.

Sheet 1 can have up to 10,000 rows and sheet 2 has around 1,000 rows so the rows will not be in the same order on both sheets. I've tried highlighted the differences using conditional formatting and then using a macro to remove the rules (whilst keeping the formatting) but it takes far too long due to run so hoping there is a quicker way.

Is there a macro or VB that could highlight these differences in blue between the two sheets? I'd appreciate any help

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
It would be easier if one of the sheets contained unique entries. For example on sheet1 the Mercedes line is duplicated. If you can get a unique list, we can just loop through that list and highlight on sheet2 anything that does not match

Even with a conditional format perhaps

Upvote 0
Hi Roderick E, unfortunately sheet 1 contains many duplicate rows and sheet 2 may only contain 1 or 2 rows BUT this may have a different colour or year.

I need the differences to be highlighted so I can find the differences on sheet 2 and fix them so they match sheet 1.

That's why I suggest an INDEX MATCH type lookup first and then check to see if the colour/year appears on sheet 1 but I'm not sure how to write that. I've tried the conditional formatting option but it's too slow.

Upvote 0
i suggest two helper columns in Sheet2. Something like this

H
I
Different Color​
Different Year​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
1​

Formula in H2 copied down
=--(COUNTIFS(Sheet1!$A:$A,$A2,Sheet1!$B:$B,$B2,Sheet1!$C:$C,$C2,Sheet1!D:D,"<>"&D2)>0)

Formula in I2 copied down
=--(COUNTIFS(Sheet1!$A:$A,$A2,Sheet1!$B:$B,$B2,Sheet1!$C:$C,$C2,Sheet1!E:E,"<>"&E2)>0)

Then you can use these helper columns in Conditional Formatting or in a macro to format the cells whose rows = 1

Hope this helps

M.

Upvote 0
Thanks Marcelo, I did consider using helper columns but I really wanted to avoid the conditional formatting - thanks for looking into it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NurseRich

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back