Math Explanation Help: Difference in Percentages

KuraiChikara

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I'm not that good at math and I was recently doing some work where I receive an answer and it's correct, but I don't understand the answer.

Process: Finding the percentage difference (increase or decrease) between two percentages.
The standard setup is: Original Percent - New Percent / Original Percent.

I agree with that: 100%-40%/100% =a difference of 60% (technically -60%). With this example I can simply add or subtract to understand it (100-60=40 or 40+60=100)

Issue: Here is what I don't understand. The percentage difference between 17.5% and 14.6%.
Same Math: 17.5% - 14.6% = 2.9% / 17.5% = 0.165 * 100 = 16.5% (or -16.5%)

How is there a 16.5% difference? To me, the difference is 2.9 but I know that isnt correct.
I've even gone to online "auto fill" calculators that show me the same result.

Can someone help explain why the percentage difference between 17.5% and 14.6% is 16.5%?

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
The value of the difference is indeed 2.9% but that 2.9% equates to 16.5% of the original 17.5% value. Ignore the fact that the numbers you are dealing with are percentages as that is actually irrelevant to the problem. If it were the percentage difference between 17.5 and 14.6, the answer would still be 2.9/17.5 which is 16.5%.

Upvote 0
Solution
That helps a bit thank you. What I can easily understand is, what is the percentage value compared to the original.
As you pointed out, 17.5 apples -14.6 apples = 2.9 apples (this is the value difference); but 2.9 apples is 16.5% of the original 17.5 bunch.

I think I kept getting stuck at two main percentage processes:
1: Total difference between numbers as in 17.5 apples - 14.6 apples; what percent of apples were taken; 14.6 apples being taken away from 17.5 apples is about 83% of the apples being lost.
2: Percentage change 17.5 apples - 14.6 apples = 2.9 apples left / 17.5 apples = 2.9 apples left is 16.5% of the original 17.5 apples.

Thank you for explaining

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back