Measures to reference "Current" period

DickyMoo

Hello,

I am trying to create measures that show calculations for current / previous periods.

I'm in accounting, and we work in periods, so the "current" month is not always the current period. Year-end is June 30th, so we are in period 12 now, but would like to display results for May, period 11.

I would like to create a measure that specifies 2016011 as the period I would like the report to consider current, I can then update this to 2016012 when required.

I know I can use CALCULATE( [measure] , Period = 2016012 ) , but I have lots of such measures, so would like an alternative.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Rich

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Do you have a separate Calendar table? what are you working in - Excel? Power BI Desktop? are your dates stored as text in Fact table?

Upvote 0
I am using Power BI Desktop. I have a separate calendar table created in Power Query, linked to the fact table.

Upvote 0
How is your pivot organized? Periods on rows or columns? or just gl accounts ? without knowing details it is hard to answer.

Upvote 0
I am using a hierarchy structure, so showing figures for Bank charges, Staff costs etc. It's a work in progress so I don't know what visualisations I will be using. Important figures are actuals and budget for current month and year to date (i.e. year to end of previous month).

DAX is very good at time-intelligence, but I can't use TOTALYTD or similar because they will look at all data in the current year, whereas I would like to explicitly state when the cut-off is.

Power BI has recently introduced parameters for queries, and I suppose I'm after something similar; a centrally defined value that can be used in many measures, and only needs updating once.

Upvote 0
In your dates table, could you do a calculated column that says:

IF([Fin Yr & Pd]=MAX('Actuals table'[Fin Yr & Pd]),"Current","Historic")

Presumably you are pulling actuals into a table and so P11 is the last period of data? If so, I use something similar to the above for my report. Hope you can get it to work!

Upvote 0
That's a good idea, but unfortunately data for P12 starts coming through from the first day of the month.

Upvote 0
I have managed to locate the table in the database that holds the open / current period information, so I will reference that in my measures.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back