slow measure needs help!

tonysharpe

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there,

I am an accountant and just started with DAX and power bi/pivot. Currently I am working on a small dataset (44K rows) and it's a trial balance file. It has 4 years of data by month. Half is from a manual excel file for balance sheet balances and the other half is actual GL transactions in SQL table. Therefore, I need to calculate starting balance and use cumulative GL transactions to add the starting balance to compute current balance. I do have a few dimension tables (depts, grouping, period etc.). And I am trying to recreate a manual file my team maintains and it shows all monthly TB balances by account, dept, mapping etc. It will have approximately 9K rows * 50 columns if I show everything in excel. Period Index 40 is my cut off number between manual TB balance and SQL GL transaction balance. Below is my code and I know it's far from good DAX, but considering my fact table is only 44K rows, it shouldn't be this slow in my mind. Currently if I just show account balances with 2 dimensions (dept, grouping), it's still very fast. When I add more dimensions, it's insanely slow. I guess showing 9K rows is not good and my STARTING_BALANCE measure needs to rewrite.

[1.Total] is just sum of balances. On and before my cut-off month, it's the correct balance sheet balance already. After that, I did a rolling sum of GL transactions. For balance sheet, it's rolling balance of all periods + starting balance. For P&L, it's rolling sum of current year only + starting balance.

Can someone please share insights what might be the issue and how I should fix this?

Really appreciate all the help!

=

VAR STARTING_BALANCE = CALCULATE( [1. Total], Period[Index] = 40, all(Period) )

VAR CURRENT_BALANCE =IF (
MIN ( Acct[CATE] ) = "BS",
CALCULATE (
[1. Total],
FILTER (
ALL ( Period ),
Period[Index] <= MAX ( Period[Index] )
&& Period[Index] >= 41
)
)
CALCULATE (
[1. Total],
FILTER (
ALL ( Period ),
Period[Index] <= MAX ( Period[Index] )
&& Period[Year_Name] = MAX ( Period[Year_Name] )
&& Period[Index] >= 41
)
)

) + STARTING_BALANCE

VAR RESULT = SWITCH ( [Calc_Divider_Value] , 1, [1. Total], 2, [1. Total], 3, CURRENT_BALANCE)

RETURN RESULT

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back