Merge cells in a COLUMN when value is the same

aprice

I'm really, really new at this. In fact, I don't even understand the directions on how to post a sample of my data except to hope my copy/paste holds up. I can't figure out where to insert the Row/Column/Cell Range info as it pertains to my data when it is given as VBA as an answer to someone else's question. So, please be detailed and basic when you answer my question because I am trying really hard to learn.
Here's what I'm dealing with, sort-of:
ABCD
1Out
1006/11AP
2Out1096/01MR
3Out1125/24JC
4In1095/30JC
5In1786/11AP
6Lost1005/15AP

<tbody>
</tbody>

I want to merge A1-A3, then A4-A5, then A6-to how ever many would be below with the same text. This data goes on for about 150 rows. So, I don't want to have to select the duplicated cells in column A and merge them myself, like I have been doing.

I want it to look like this:
ABCD
6/11AP
2Out109
6/01MR
3___112
5/24JC
4In109
5/30JC
5___178
6/11AP
6Lost
5/15AP

<tbody>
</tbody>

I hope that makes sense. I have been creating macros, and I have been stepping into the code to make minor alterations as I've come across things I need to correct in the macro, so I do have some basic knowledge of how it works, just not a lot.

Weirdly enough- I do not have a "Sharing & Privacy" button in my preferences. About half a dozen of my friends have tried to find it in preferences too. I don't have a Ribbon button. No one has been able to find it; it's not just me being clueless.
When I tried these in Excel, nothing happened.
or Function (fn) + Option (alt) + F11 to open the Editor windows
or Function + Option F8 to open the Macro window

I don't know why my Mac doesn't have the expected buttons or responses. They are probably just well hidden.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
What version of excel is it? If it's too old, there's a chance you won't even be able to create macros.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back