Merge rows instead of adjusting row height for wrapped text

mortensonman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello. I am an AutoCAD tech at an engineering firm. I am trying to make some cad files with linked ole spreadsheets. The engineers want to be able to edit the spreadsheets with excel, and we want the results to show up in the drawings when we open or print them in AutoCAD. One of the caveats of this is each cad file (or drawing) has a title & revision border block, so the spreadsheet must fit within. By hook or crook I've figured out that an Arial Narrow 9 point font and default row height ends up appearing the same as our CAD standard Arial 1/10in, hence the viewer of the drawing might not even realize it's an embedded spreadsheet. The drawing border allows for 95 rows of this font. I've figured out how to hide all the rows past row 95 in a spreadsheet, however the pesky word wrap cells keep increasing the row height instead of merging some of the existing 95 rows. The result is a spreadsheet too large to fit on one of our drawings. Is there any way to keep a finite number of rows that account for double & triple row heights? Side note, we aren't big fans of data links and AutoTable. Frequent crashes and table inaccuracies are why we try to avoid it.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back