Missing Common Controls 6.0 (SP6)

pbt

I recently bought a new computer running 64 bit. Some of my macros that were running on a 32 bit no longer work on the 64 bit. I am getting error's stating "Compile error: Can't find project or Library". Going into the VBA References, it shows me Missing Common Controls 6.0 (SP6)

I have done searches on the internet and most of them refer to Access problems or problems after switching to IE10. I am running IE 11. I even found a link from MS to download the 6.0 Controls, but still have the problem.

One of the VBA code's that is producing the error is:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean)
    Dim sht As Worksheet
    Dim intResponse As Integer
    Dim intResponse2 As Integer

'//Inserts the path in the footer of sheet
       With ActiveSheet
             .PageSetup.LeftFooter = "&8" & _
            ThisWorkbook.FullName
            End With

'//Prompts the user for a date if printing the PROPOSAL
    If ActiveSheet.Name = ("PROPOSAL") Then
        intResponse = MsgBox(Prompt:="INSERT TODAY'S DATE?", _
        Buttons:=vbQuestion + vbYesNoCancel, Title:="REMINDER")
        Select Case intResponse
            Case vbYes
                Range("F2") = Format([B]Date[/B], mmmm, dd, yyyy)
            Case vbNo
                Exit Sub
            Case vbCancel
                Cancel = True
        End Select
     End If

End Sub

The word Date in Range("F2") = Format(Date, mmmm, dd, yyyy) is highlighted in Blue. Clicking on the OK button, the Macro name is highlighted Yellow. Clicking on the Reset button the code runs.

I can't figure this out and need some help from you guys.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Remove the checkbox to your missing library then run the code again to fix your issue.

If you want to try to reinstall your controls here is a link to the missing item:
LINK HERE: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10019

With my experience I've found that not many users have this .dll file. It's best to use another type of control unless no other option exists.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply

That was the same link that I had tried. I then looked in the System 32 folder and it was not there. As far as Unchecking the missing library, it doesn't allow me. It says it's in use.

Upvote 0
I just encountered this issue about a week ago. What Reference Libraries are you referencing? In what order?

Did you try to do this in the file before running the code?:

1. Alt + F11
2. Tools > References > UNCHECK YOUR MISSING LIBRARY

Upvote 0
The Common Controls are part of VB6, so they only work for 32-bit cases.

Upvote 0
I just encountered this issue about a week ago.

To be more specific: The issue that I faced was regarding troubleshooting a file for a friend, that referenced the date and time picker control (SEE HERE FOR REFERENCE)

When I initially ran the code I got an error on a line of code that resembled this:

Code:
myDate = Format(Date, "MM/DD/YYYY")

The error that said the variable Date was not recognized. Once I removed the Checkbox beside the Missing Reference.... the Date was recognized again and the code worked without issue.

Based on what Jon is saying, if your running a 64-bit machine you won't be able to use this control anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Matt, are you running even a 64-bit Excel, not only a 64-bit Windows? I've a 64-bit Windows but a 32-bit Office 2016 and I run Common Controls 6.0 (SP6), i.e.Date and Time Picker in my everyday Excel application. You need the file MSCOMCT2.OCX. I can email it to you if you like.
Best regards
Mats

Upvote 0
mrmmickle1 -

Code:
myDate = Format(Date, "MM/DD/YYYY")

You should rename that variable "Date"; it's not good practice to use a VBA keyword as a variable name.

Zebulon -

MSCOMCT2.OCX will work in 32-bit Office running on 64-bit Windows, but not in 64-bit Office.

Upvote 0
@Jon,

Thanks for the tip. I have ran into issues with keywords in Access enough to know better :).

@Zebulon,

No, I have the file and have installed it successfully in the past. I tried to use this control at a previous employer. Had trouble getting IT to deploy the file your referencing. So much trouble that I used a calendar class module instead.

Upvote 0
Thanks to Jon and Zebulon as well as Matt, for jumping in.

This thread kind of jumped over to Matt's previous problem. I still have my problem and am a little confused on the conversation. Unfortunately I have to take a flight out tonight and will probably not get back to this thread until this weekend.

I will elaborate more on my problem this weekend. Please keep following this thread, I do have questions and observations with this workbook and others that (I thought, where copies of the original)

Just for something to think about in the mean time: Some of the Copies make a Reference to 6.0 (SP4) not (SP6), and work fine.

To answer Matts questions above:

Can't Uncheck Missing Control. Says it's in use without me even running code. Just opened workbook and went to Tools/Reference, tried to delete but gave message.
Order of Reference:
Visual Basic For Applications
Microsoft Excel 14.0 Object Library
OLE Automation
Microsoft Office 14.0 Object Library
Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library
Missing: Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6)

If schedule and time permits I will post back during the week, but looks like not until this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyko

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back