mmm-yy Date format for end of month?

dropkickweasel

Board Regular
I'm working on a workbook that is used to track the inventory and expiry dates of products.
As new stock is added to the workbook, the expiry dates are formatted as "mmm-yy".
I believe this is treated by Excel as being the first of the specified month.
However, all of the products go out of date at the end of each month.

Is there any way to change the way Excel perceives "mmm-yy" so that it is treated as the last day of each month, rather than the first?

The intended next step of this process is to apply conditional formatting to show when products are within X months of their expiry date, will expire at the end of the current month, or have expired.

Thanks in advance for any contributions before I start trying to improvise.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
If date "mmm-yy" in cell A1, and real date, formatted as "mmm-yy"
A2 is end month date:
Code:
=EOMONTH(A1,0)
If A1 is text:
A2:
Code:
=EOMONTH(DATEVALUE("1-"&A3),0)

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi Bebo021999,

Thank you for your response.

That definitely works, but is there a way to do this without adding an additional column to my table?

Essentially, rather than using a formula to convert "mmm-yy" to the last day of the month, is there a setting I can change where it is automatically considered the last day of the month when entered in the "mmm-yy" format?

Upvote 0
How are the dates being entered?

Upvote 0
In that case why not just the day as well?

Upvote 0
In that case why not just the day as well?
A very valid question!

Were I the end user, I would be happy with that solution and may well suggest this to the end user, but I wanted to explore other options first.

Assuming that the end user is not prepared to take on the additional load of inputting dd-mmm-yy, do you know of any way for Excel to recognise mmm-yy as the last day of the month rather than the first?

Upvote 0
You can't, if you type Jan-22 into a cell xl will automatically add the day as 1 & that cannot be changed.
But if this is just for conditional formatting use can use the formula that bebo021999 suggested in your CF rule

Upvote 0
You'd need code to convert the dates, or you could just change your conditional formatting to assume the date is the end of the specified month using EOMONTH.

Upvote 0
Thank you to Fluff and RoryA for making the same suggestion.

That's the conclusion I was drawing too, but I always think it's worth asking if there's alternate ways to do a thing that I don't know about yet.

Many thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omer Lutfu Neziroglu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back