Modifying this date calculation formula?

SoonerTexan

Hello,

I'm needing to calculate a retirement date based on a set of rules and data I have in a spreadsheet. I have a formula now that does some of what I need and could be modified, but it might not be the best way to do this to begin with.

Here are the rules (whatever rule is effective first is the rule that applies):

1. 55 years old AND 10 years of service (for example, a 54 year old with 15 years of service would hit this rule on his/her 55th birthday and a 57 year old with 9 years of service would hit this rule on his/her 10th service anniversary)

2. OR 65 years old and 0 years of service

3. OR If the person has hit either of the above conditions and is retirement eligible before an arbitrary date I will call "Start Date," then the person's new retirement eligible date is 6 months + Start date (For example, if the "Start Date" were 1/1/2013, the new date would be 7/1/2013)

My Data is set up like below (the first row is the column number--there is other non-relevant info I need to keep together in this sheet)

BEFLMN
Start DateDate of BirthHire DateAge 55 DateAge 65 Date10 Year Service Date

<tbody>
</tbody>

I created Columns L, M, and N myself with modifications of this formula to make it easier for me to write an overall simpler retirement date calculation formula.
=DATE(YEAR(E2)+65,MONTH(E2),DAY(E2))

So after all that background, here is my question:

I'm using this formula to calculate a retirement date for rules 1 & 2 above only. It does not factor in rule #3 and I need it to:
<n2,l2,n2))[ code]

</n2,l2,n2))[><n2,l2,n2))[ code]
=IF(AND(L2>=N2,N2<=M2),M2,IF(L2<N2,L2,N2))</n2,l2,n2))[><n2,l2,n2))[ code]
<n2,l2,n2))

How can I modify this so it will take into account Rule #3 as well? Also, is there a better way to do this that eliminates having to use Columns L, M, and N altogether and simply uses Columns B, E, and F? I'm a little hesitant to go that route because I think it will be one whopper of a formula that may be hard to follow, and I really need this to be as clear as possible and easy enough for someone else to follow due to what I'm using this as a check for.

Any ideas?</n2,l2,n2))
</n2,l2,n2))[>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Sorry, for whatever reason this forum keeps cutting off the rest of the formula I'm using.

I have no idea what is going on--can anyone help?
<n2,l2,n2))< html=""></n2,l2,n2))<>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jest

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back