Monte Carlo Simulation on individual x,y,z co-ordinates

pimmy689

Hi,

I am trying to quantify the accuracy of the volume of a stockpile based on the positional uncertainty of each individual point. So my stockpile shape may have 3000 vertices on it to make a 3d shape and this 3d shape can be compared to a base surface to provide a volume in m³.

My question is that if each of those 3000 points has a standard deviation of (a) e.g. 0.015m for the x co-ordinate (a) for the y co-ordinate and (b) e.g. 0.03m for the z co-ordinate with a normal distribution.
How do I run a monte carlo simulation on each of those individual points n number of times to provide n files with a randomly generated list of co-ordinates with a normal distribution to the original co-ordinates.

So my inputs will be the list of x,y,z co-ordinates, the SD for the x,y & z columns and n for the number of iterations. I am an absolute novice at VBA but my first guess would be that some sort of loop could be used for each co-ordinate with the specified parameters which sits inside another loop that runs through the co-ordinate list n number of times. The output will hopefully be multiple files or at least co-ordinate lists that have been randomly generated within specified limits. The part I'm struggling most with is how to run the monte carlo simulation on each co-ordinate.

Is this feasible in vba or do I need to go up another path?

Thanks for your time.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back