Month and Year in Excel Header Mac

excellence

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I currently have this &[Date] &[Time] in the right part of a footer on an Excel spreadsheet. I am trying to put a similar "formula" in the top left header of the same spreadsheet, but would like it to put in the current month and year automatically in the format Mmmm yyyy January 2024.

I have tried to modify my footer without success, though I believe this should be able to be done.
Thanks

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
I think that you will need to use vba to do that. You could try this in the ThisWorkbook module. Each time the workbook is opened the headers for each worksheet would be updated. Another option would be to put similar code in a Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint procedure.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
  Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
    ws.PageSetup.LeftHeader = Format(Date, "mmmm yyyy")
  Next ws
End Sub

Upvote 0
I think that you will need to use vba to do that. You could try this in the ThisWorkbook module. Each time the workbook is opened the headers for each worksheet would be updated. Another option would be to put similar code in a Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint procedure.

VBA Code:
  Dim ws As Worksheet

Next ws
End Sub
Just wonder why it cannot be done the same way as the footer or is that just Excel doing what Excel does :)) ?
As amateur VBAer, what addition code is necessary to bold the date?

VBA Code:
  Dim ws As Worksheet

Next ws
End Sub

Upvote 0
Just wonder why it cannot be done the same way as the footer
The built-in header/footer date formats are taken from your system date format settings.

what addition code is necessary to bold the date?
Rich (BB code):
  Dim ws As Worksheet

ws.PageSetup.LeftHeader = "&B" & Format(Date, "mmmm yyyy")
  Next ws
End Sub

Upvote 0
One additional point if I may.
I assume that after running this VBA it causes Excel to ask if I want to save the changes..that is the VBA puts in the month and date each time no matter if it was there when the Excel file was closed.

Is there a way for the VBA to ignore the date change, even if it were another month?
The reason for this is it makes me wonder if other changes were made that I should be concerned about. There would no way way of me knowing if the only change is the date or if I made other changes intentionally or unintentionally.
No concerns here if the date changes.

I guess. simply put, could the VBA ignore changes in the header date of this VBA?
Or more simply, have Excel ignore changes made by the VBA !!

Upvote 0
Is there a way for the VBA to ignore the date change, even if it were another month?
No, because if the month has changed then the workbook has changed. If you close it without saving the changes then there is no point changing the header in the first place.

However, there are a few other options that might be considered. The most obvious one to me is that the above code sets the header immediately the workbook opens. If we then also immediately save the workbook then the only change saved (if any) would be if the headers changed. Then if nothing else was changed in the workbook it would close without you being asked about changes. Try replacing the code with this one, save the changes then ty opening/closing the workbook with or without making any changes yourself.

VBA Code:
  Dim ws As Worksheet

Next ws
  ThisWorkbook.Save
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
No, because if the month has changed then the workbook has changed. If you close it without saving the changes then there is no point changing the header in the first place.

However, there are a few other options that might be considered. The most obvious one to me is that the above code sets the header immediately the workbook opens. If we then also immediately save the workbook then the only change saved (if any) would be if the headers changed. Then if nothing else was changed in the workbook it would close without you being asked about changes. Try replacing the code with this one, save the changes then ty opening/closing the workbook with or without making any changes yourself.

VBA Code:
  Dim ws As Worksheet

Next ws
  ThisWorkbook.Save
End Sub
Simply perfect
So many thanks again
I hope I checked off the correct boxes. If no please let me know the best way to get kudos for all your work.
Happy New Year

Upvote 0
Hi,
Was checking this and it doesn't seem to run automatically when the .xlsm file is opened. It will run if I put the cursor to the left of Private and click the blue arrow key in the toolbar to "run sub". Is there a way to make this run automatically on opening?
Must be something I haven't done.

Thanks

VBA Code:
  Dim ws As Worksheet

Next ws
  ThisWorkbook.Save
End Sub

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back