Move and Rearrange Data based on Header

ruinedelf

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hiya, another quandary for me. I've been able to prompt up a script that does the following:

1. Define a destination table (table 1).
2. Define a source table (table 2).
3. Move columns from table 2 to table 1 based on column header.

The script works wonderfully with one caveat: there cannot be any empty cells in table 1's header row. However, the situation I'm in requires those blank cells to be present. What would need to be modified in order to do so? Hope someone can help out!

Please see below for the script I currently have:

VBA Code:
Sub CopyAndRearrangeData()
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("ALS Import") ' Change "ALSImport" to your sheet's name

' Find the last column in row 1 of the sheet
    Dim lastColumn As Long
    lastColumn = ws.Cells(1, ws.Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column

Dim table1Range As Range
    Set table1Range = ws.Range("A2").Resize(53, lastColumn) ' ws.Range (Destination Table Starting Row), Resize (# of Rows, # of Columns)

Dim table2HeaderRow As Range
    Set table2HeaderRow = ws.Range("A61").Resize(1, ws.Cells(61, ws.Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column) ' ws.Range (Source Table Starting Row)

Dim i As Integer
    For i = 1 To table1Range.Columns.Count
        Dim header As String
        header = table1Range.Cells(1, i).Value

Dim headerIndex As Long
        headerIndex = 0

For Each cell In table2HeaderRow
            If cell.Value = header Then
                headerIndex = cell.Column
                Exit For
            End If
        Next cell

If headerIndex > 0 Then
            Dim destColumn As Range
            Set destColumn = table1Range.Columns(i)

Dim sourceColumn As Range
            Set sourceColumn = ws.Cells(61, headerIndex).Resize(ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, headerIndex).End(xlUp).Row - 60)

' Copy the data
            sourceColumn.Copy Destination:=destColumn.Resize(sourceColumn.Rows.Count, 1)
            destColumn.NumberFormat = "General"

' Clear the source data (Table 2)
            sourceColumn.Clear
        End If
    Next i

Application.CutCopyMode = False
End Sub

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Is there any chance of posting your sheet using the XL2BB add in, or alternatively, sharing your file via Google Drive, Dropbox or similar file sharing platform? A before and after demonstration would be ideal.

Upvote 0
Here's a link! <Will be deleted 6 days from this post>

It's quite complicated and complex, a lot of scripts running. Most likely not optimal, but I have no experience of scripting and mostly just prompted up the scripts using AI. Does what I need it to do though!

The script in question is Module 3.

Upvote 0
Thank you for that, and I must apologise because I cannot fathom the labyrinth of 10 modules and 2 class modules to determine exactly what your end objective is. A before and after would have been ideal.
Could you explain, as simply as possible, precisely what it is that you're trying to achieve via the code.
As an aside, if this is what AI has provided you then I'm glad I avoid it like the plague...

Upvote 0
To be fair to AI, I basically went step by step. Rather than tell it what I want it to do in one fell swoop, I divided up the final result into a series of steps that I'd need to do to reach it, then asked AI to make scripts for each step, which are in the modules. The Changelog tab has said step by step, with each module being a single step. I could, of course, have rearranged everything and made it look a lot neater. A single module, with all sub modules arranged chronologically, etc. I never figured that I'd be uploading the file online, so it's basically there warts and all.

In a nutshell, the idea is to be able to take the Test Import Data (which naturally would be live data in production), copy that, and paste it under the black line (starting at A61) in the Import Script. Clicking the button would then take care of all the processing in the background, which would spit out a CSV file that can be imported into FileMaker Pro.

What this particular topic is about is the moving and rearranging part. I'm going to try and make an example here:

Before:
Table 1:
FMP Field 1FMP Field 2FMP Field 3FMP Field 4FMP Field 5FMP Field 6FMP Field 7FMP Field 8FMP Field 9
Analyte 1Analyte 2Analyte 3Analyte 4Analyte 5Analyte 6Analyte 7Analyte 8

Table 2:
Analyte 5Analyte 3Analyte 1Analyte 6Analyte 7Analyte 2
234456464357234<623467
6346324234<4<2234546890

After:
Table 3:
FMP Field 1FMP Field 2FMP Field 3FMP Field 4FMP Field 5FMP Field 6FMP Field 7FMP Field 8FMP Field 9
Analyte 1Analyte 2Analyte 3Analyte 4Analyte 5Analyte 6Analyte 7Analyte 8
64357234674564234234<6
<45468903242346346<2234

Table 2 is the data that would've been pasted, note that there are no FMP Field headers. The script should then move the data from Table 2 to Table 1, matching row 2 in Table 1 with the header row of Table 2.

Hope that made more sense!

Upvote 0
Oh, and I should probably mention that the workbook needs to be OS agnostic: It needs to be able to work on both Windows and Mac, which is why the Class Modules are there. Mac does not have access to Microsoft Scripting Runtime, but (two of) the scripts I have rely on Dictionaries, so I had to compensate for that.

Upvote 0
OK, I'll have to pull out here as I have zero experience in writing code for Mac's. But what I can do is provide a demonstration of how I would approach the realigning problem using your sample data as an example. Obviously you need to change the cell references/sheet name to suit your particular needs.
So starting with this:
Book1
ABCDEFGHI
1FMP Field 1FMP Field 2FMP Field 3FMP Field 4FMP Field 5FMP Field 6FMP Field 7FMP Field 8FMP Field 9
2Analyte 1Analyte 2Analyte 3Analyte 4Analyte 5Analyte 6Analyte 7Analyte 8
10Analyte 5Analyte 3Analyte 1Analyte 6Analyte 7Analyte 2
11234456464357234<623467
126346324234<4<2234546890
Sheet1

This code:
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Demo()
    'Get the sheet name
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Set ws = Worksheets("Sheet1")   '<-- change as needed

'Dim the range variables
    Dim SrcHdr As Range, DstHdr As Range, c As Range

'Set the range variables
    Set SrcHdr = ws.Range(ws.Cells(10, 1), ws.Cells(10, ws.Rows("10").Find("*", , xlFormulas, , 2, 2).Column))
    Set DstHdr = ws.Range(ws.Cells(2, 1), ws.Cells(2, ws.Rows("2").Find("*", , xlFormulas, , 2, 2).Column))

'Loop through each cell in the source header range,
    'find the matching header in the destination row,
    'and copy the data from the source to the destination
    Dim i As Long
    For Each c In SrcHdr
        i = WorksheetFunction.Match(c, DstHdr, 0)
        If i > 0 Then
            ws.Range(Cells(11, c.Column), ws.Cells(ws.Cells(Rows.Count, c.Column).End(xlUp).Row, c.Column)).Copy ws.Cells(3, i)
        End If
    Next c
End Sub

Produces this:
Book1
ABCDEFGHI
1FMP Field 1FMP Field 2FMP Field 3FMP Field 4FMP Field 5FMP Field 6FMP Field 7FMP Field 8FMP Field 9
2Analyte 1Analyte 2Analyte 3Analyte 4Analyte 5Analyte 6Analyte 7Analyte 8
364357234674564234234<6
4<45468903242346346<2234
10Analyte 5Analyte 3Analyte 1Analyte 6Analyte 7Analyte 2
11234456464357234<623467
126346324234<4<2234546890
Sheet1

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help, but hopefully someone will come forward to assist further. Best wishes & good luck with your project.

Upvote 0
I think you're on the right track, a few modifications and it might work! From what I can see, scripting in Mac and Windows aren't that different at the basic level, which I presume this is (relatively speaking).

First of all, as the source table starts on row 61, I went in and changed everything that said "10" in the SrcHdr line to "61", as well as changing "11" to "62" in the ws.Range part near the end. The script runs without issue, now to adjust the output a bit!

This was the input:

BatchSampleSLUDGE Arsenic mg/kgSLUDGE Boron mg/kgSLUDGE Cadmium mg/kgSLUDGE Chromium mg/kgSLUDGE Copper mg/kgSLUDGE Electrical Conductivity @ 25°C µS/cmSLUDGE Lead mg/kgSLUDGE Mercury mg/kgSLUDGE Moisture Content %SLUDGE Nickel mg/kgSLUDGE pH Value pH UnitSLUDGE Selenium mg/kgSLUDGE Total Nitrogen as N mg/kgSLUDGE Styrene mg/kgSLUDGE Vinyl benzene mg/kg
66624TGTW Week 4 01/12/23 - 66624 : 1<0.1<5<0.12.330.61.6<0.10.7<112.9
66624TGTW Week 4 01/12/23 - 66624 : 140159.944050
66624Composite TGTW - 01/12/23 - 66624 :2<0.1<5<0.12.724.42<0.10.7<116.1
66624Composite TGTW - 01/12/23 - 66624 :237757.54.15190

This is what it looks like now after running the script:

Batch_IDSample_ID.:::SOLIDS:::..::General::.pH_in_H2O_EXTEC_uScm_EXTEC_dSmN_total_pcN_total_mgkgTKN_mgkgS_total_mgkgS_total_pcP_digest_EXT_mgkgP_digest_EXT_pcMC_WaterRatio_ext_pcMC_SolidsRatio_ext_pcSOUR_mgO2gOilAndgrease_mgkg
BatchSample.:::SOLIDS:::..::General::.pH Value pH UnitElectrical Conductivity @ 25°C µS/cmTotal Nitrogen as N mg/kgSulfur as S mg/kgSulfur - Total as S (LECO) %Phosphorus mg/kgMoisture Content %Oil and Grease mg/kg
28-May-8214401405059.959.9
28-May-8224.1377519057.557.5

Which is really close to what I need! (If you're worried about 4 rows becoming 2, don't worry, that's a script I have that merges rows if there's a duplicate sample name) Just two things:

1) If you compare the source and destination, the source's numbers seem to have been converted to dates in the destination. Is there any way to avoid that?

2) Additionally, would it be too difficult to delete whatever has been successfully moved? Cut and paste rather than copy, if you will.

That should honestly be it, I'll just need to get onto a Mac and give it a trial run after we've got it ironed out!

Upvote 0
If you compare the source and destination, the source's numbers seem to have been converted to dates in the destination. Is there any way to avoid that?
The code doesn't do that. It has to be the destination cell format. (Dates are just numbers - and 66624 is actually 28 May 2082.) Check your destination cell formats, and make sure no other code is converting the format of those cells to dates.

would it be too difficult to delete whatever has been successfully moved?
Not a problem, just change this:
VBA Code:
ws.Range(Cells(62, c.Column), ws.Cells(ws.Cells(Rows.Count, c.Column).End(xlUp).Row, c.Column)).Copy ws.Cells(3, i)
To this:
VBA Code:
With ws.Range(Cells(62, c.Column), ws.Cells(ws.Cells(Rows.Count, c.Column).End(xlUp).Row, c.Column))
                .Copy ws.Cells(3, i)
                .Delete shift:=xlUp
End With

Upvote 0
Alrighty, found the issue, the source data is formatted as "Date", despite still showing up as the numbers I need. Copy-pasting it into the XLSM file didn't change its format, but using a script to copy/move it around forced it back. I prompted up a script to find the appropriate column and change the format of every populated cell in it to General, issue resolved!

Now the only thing left is to try it on a Mac. If it works, I'm happy to close this off! Thanks so much for your help, Kevin!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back