Moving lines of a 2D array to a second 2D array based on a condition

DonEB

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a 2D array (called arPriority) which was defined as Variant and populated with values from Sheets("AllWeeks").Range("L43:M72").Value2. So it is only 2 columns and max of 30 rows. This array contains Player #'s in column 1 and Priority numbers ranging from 1 to 99 in column 2.

Once arPriority is established, I examine it to determine which Player(s) have the highest priority (i.e., usually a 1) assigned to them. This is accomplished by
VBA Code:
Priority = Evaluate("MIN(AllWeeks!M43:M72)")

However, this is where I run into problems.

For i = 1 To UBound(arPriority)
If arPriority(i, 2) = Priority Then 'NOTE: Works up to here; this helps me determine if a player has been assigned the highest priority

????? I don't know how to take the corresponding player (i.e., arPriority(i,1)) and place them into a separate array. When attempting to strip out the desired data and place it into a separate array, I run into Subscript out of range issue and I'm not sure how to resolve. My internet research has not provided me any solution to my problem.

End If
Next i

My reason for wanting to place these values into a separate array is to help limit the number of times I need to loop thru all the potential player values just to find the ones that have the high priority.
Example: If I calculated things correctly, if I have 8 players, two team of 4 that results in a total of 70 possible combinations. The program would have to loop thru 70 times. If I have 12 players, three teams of 4 that would result in 495 combinations for the first court and 70 combinations for the second resulting in over 34,000 loops (495 x 70). So, I'm thinking the smaller the subset the quicker the loop will run and thus be more efficient.

However, I would also be open minded about any other solution someone might have.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Don

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but see if this is any use to get you headed in the right direction.

VBA Code:
Sub Test_v1()
  Dim arPriority As Variant, arTop As Variant
  Dim i As Long, k As Long, Priority As Long

With Worksheets("AllWeeks")
    arPriority = .Range("L43:M72").Value2
    ReDim arTop(1 To UBound(arPriority), 1 To 2)
    Priority = Evaluate("MIN(AllWeeks!M43:M72)")
    For i = 1 To UBound(arPriority)
      If arPriority(i, 2) = Priority Then
        k = k + 1
        arTop(k, 1) = arPriority(i, 1)
        arTop(k, 2) = arPriority(i, 2)
      End If
    Next i
    .Range("P43").Resize(k, 2).Value = arTop
  End With

My sample data is shown in in L:M below and the code above has produced the values in P:Q
If that is nothing like what you are after then please give us some sample data and expected results (preferably with XL2BB so that we can easily copy to test with)

DonEB.xlsm
LMNOPQ
42Player #Priority #
43Player #14Player #61
44Player #23Player #71
45Player #33Player #121
46Player #44
47Player #54
48Player #61
49Player #71
50Player #84
51Player #94
52Player #102
53Player #114
54Player #121
55Player #133
AllWeeks

Upvote 0
Solution
You're welcome. Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back