Moving One Column To Multiple Rows and Multiple Cells

cartley

I'm hoping someone can help with manipulating data from one column to multiple rows and cells in an easy fashion. We copy and paste hundreds of names for mailing lists into one column in the format you see below. We are trying to quickly convert the data so that if Name One is in cell a1, then address one would move to b1, city to c1, state to d1 and zip to e1. Then if name two is in cell a4, then address two would move to b4, city to d4 and zip to e4. I know about the transpose function but it is far too time consuming to do that over and over for the number of entries we need to address. Anything faster would be much appreciated. Thanks!

<colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:5728;width:134pt" width="179"> </colgroup><tbody>
Name One
Address One
City, State, Zip
Name Two
Address Two
City, State, Zip
Name Threee
Address Three
City, State, Zip

<colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:5728;width:134pt" width="179"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
</tbody>

@My Aswer Is This
That doesn't split up the city, state and Zip code.
As Peter has already asked, we need to know what seperates the 3 on a consistent basis

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
I know Michael. But the original poster said he had been using Transpose and it worked fine for him but took a long time. I'm thinking maybe he does not want them split out.
If he want's them split out that is probable beyond my Knowledge base. I will keep watching this thread.

Upvote 0
1. For the City/State/Zip rows (rows 3,6,9,..)
Could we see some actual sample data (say 6-8 rows showing any variations in structure) or else detail about:
- Do any zip codes contain spaces?
- Are the states full state names (ie may contain spaces) or abbreviations (containing no spaces?)
- Is there actually a comma after every city name?

2. Do you actually want the results only in rows 1, 4, 7, .. or (including name) compacted in rows 1, 2, 3, ..?

Hi Peter:

To answer your question above, none of the zip codes contain spaces. They are either in the format 85258 or 85258-1234. The states is always abbreviated and it is AZ for all entries. There is a comma after every city name. If everything can be compacted down that is ideal. Thanks for your insight.

Upvote 0
.. none of the zip codes contain spaces. They are either in the format 85258 or 85258-1234. The states is always abbreviated and it is AZ for all entries. There is a comma after every city name. If everything can be compacted down that is ideal. Thanks for your insight.
OK, this does allow for other state abbreviations too, though you say all are "AZ".

Test in a copy of your workbook.

Sample data (modified to remove spaces from zip codes & states) & results below.

Rich (BB code):
Sub rearrange()
  Dim a, b, bits
  Dim i As Long, k As Long

a = Range("A1", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
  ReDim b(1 To UBound(a) / 3, 1 To 5)
  For i = 1 To UBound(a) Step 3
    bits = Split(a(i + 2, 1), ",")
    k = k + 1
    b(k, 1) = a(i, 1)
    b(k, 2) = a(i + 1, 1)
    b(k, 3) = bits(0)
    b(k, 4) = Split(Trim(bits(1)))(0)
    b(k, 5) = Split(Trim(bits(1)))(1)
  Next i
  With Range("C1").Resize(UBound(b), 5)
    .Value = b
    .EntireColumn.AutoFit
  End With
End Sub

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1Name OneName OneAddress OneCity OneAZZipOne
2Address OneName TwoAddress TwoCity TwoNYZipTwo
3City One, AZ ZipOneName ThreeAddress ThreeCity ThreeAZZipThree
4Name Two
5Address Two
6City Two, NY ZipTwo
7Name Three
8Address Three
9City Three, AZ ZipThree
Sheet2

Upvote 0
Peter, this works flawlessly. Thank you very very much for your help and everyone else for your input.

Upvote 0
I wish I could understand all this code.
OK, this does allow for other state abbreviations too, though you say all are "AZ".

Sample data (modified to remove spaces from zip codes & states) & results below.

Rich (BB code):
Sub rearrange()
  Dim a, b, bits
  Dim i As Long, k As Long

k = k + 1
    b(k, 1) = a(i, 1)
    b(k, 2) = a(i + 1, 1)
    b(k, 3) = bits(0)
  Next i
    .Value = b
    .EntireColumn.AutoFit
  End With
End Sub

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1Name One*Name OneAddress OneCity OneAZZipOne
2Address One*Name TwoAddress TwoCity TwoNYZipTwo
3City One, AZ ZipOne*Name ThreeAddress ThreeCity ThreeAZZipThree
4Name Two******
5Address Two******
6City Two, NY ZipTwo******
7Name Three******
8Address Three******
9City Three, AZ ZipThree******
Sheet2

Upvote 0
Hi Peter:

I'm hoping you can help with a problem we stated having recently with the amazing code you helped with earlier this year. All of a sudden we began receiving a "Run-time error '9':
Subscript out of range" error when we try and run this macro. The line that it is highlighting is the "b(k,5) line. When i remove that line from the code i get everything to separate into the various columns like it used to except the zip code which is that last line. I appreciate any insight you might have on why we are getting this error. Thanks!

Rich (BB code):
Sub rearrange()
  Dim a, b, bits
  Dim i As Long, k As Long

k = k + 1
    b(k, 1) = a(i, 1)
    b(k, 2) = a(i + 1, 1)
    b(k, 3) = bits(0)
  Next i
    .Value = b
    .EntireColumn.AutoFit
  End With
End Sub

Sheet2

ABCDEFG
1Name One Name OneAddress OneCity OneAZZipOne
2Address One Name TwoAddress TwoCity TwoNYZipTwo
3City One, AZ ZipOne Name ThreeAddress ThreeCity ThreeAZZipThree
4Name Two
5Address Two
6City Two, NY ZipTwo
7Name Three
8Address Three
9City Three, AZ ZipThree

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:179px;"><col style="width:31px;"><col style="width:89px;"><col style="width:104px;"><col style="width:78px;"><col style="width:37px;"><col style="width:68px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Upvote 0
Hi Peter:

I'm hoping you can help with a problem we stated having recently with the amazing code you helped with earlier this year. All of a sudden we began receiving a "Run-time error '9':
Subscript out of range" error when we try and run this macro. The line that it is highlighting is the "b(k,5) line. When i remove that line from the code i get everything to separate into the various columns like it used to except the zip code which is that last line. I appreciate any insight you might have on why we are getting this error. Thanks!
Without seeing the data, my best guess is that one or more of your 'name and address blocks' occupies less than 3 rows in the sheet. In that case, not only would that error occur, but you would be unable to rely on the results of that macro anyway as it is reliant on every block using 3 rows.

1. Can you confirm my suspicion?

2. If so, is it the first address line that is (at least sometimes) missing? That is, does every section contain a name row and a City/State/Zip row?

Upvote 0
Thank you for that insight. This was a 1500 cell workbook they were trying to run the macro on and one address was missing a zip code. As soon as we added that in everything works great once again. Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trystel

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back