Moving Overlapping Images

Aluroth

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have created a scheduling type worksheet that uses images of employee's names that you can drag underneath each Forman to make their crews. I was wondering if there was a way that when I grabbed an image to move to another column, it would remove a cell to get rid of the empty space it was sitting in. I would also like it to create a new cell when I release it so I can drag it ontop of another image and it would move all the cells and images down so it would not overlap the image that was originally in the cell. This way I could organize the images without needing to move them all manually.

1688076622333.png
1688076622333.png

This is the idea. I want to, for example, drag Joe Sowers to Deven Lang and it would Place him under Breanna, and also move Breanna to the top spot and Devin Lange Down to make room for the image. Any help is appreciated!!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Why do you have the names in images instead of just cell contents?

Upvote 0
They were easier to move around and keep the color. It's built into excel to be able to drag the cell. But the colors don't seem to follow the text as it should. I figured images would be easier to drag around and drop with keeping the right background color.

Upvote 0
Colours do stay with the cell when you drag it. I've done that many many times. Drag and insert is done by holding down shift key as you drag. That's half your functionality done. To get rid of blanks left by moving would be done by some kind of tidy-up macro after the dragging is done, I'd say. What do you think?

Upvote 0
Yeah, if there was a way to delete the cell you're dragging/inserting out of. Then that would be all I would need!

Upvote 0
Yeah, if there was a way to delete the cell you're dragging/inserting out of. Then that would be all I would need!
Well, writing a macro to do that would be fairly simple ... once you've decided on what markers or rules are to be used to tell when you at the end of a crew. You could have that triggered by a hot-key combination, maybe, to make it easy to call ... or have a button on your sheet to press to do the tidy-up.

Upvote 0
I think I would want it to delete the cell when you shift+LeftMouseClick, that way when you push shift+LeftMouseClick to Insert, you also are cleaning up the cells as you are moving things around.

Upvote 0
It isn't when you click though, is it. The move cell action only completes when you release the left mouse button. As I have said before, have a clean up macro triggered by hotkey or button ... or, and I only suggest this because it would work, not because I think it's a good idea, put the code in the Worksheet_Calculate event, and make sure there is some calculation that is triggered by moving a cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexlomt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back